Kenya - Apply for a Tax Return
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1.The applicant should go to either Large Taxpayers offices and Domestic Revenue countrywide
2.After every 3 months download a P10D also available on KRA website and fill out all your employees information as required.
3.Make copies of the P11s that you have submitted to KRA during that quarter.
4.Print the P10D in duplicate and take them together with the Photostats of the P11s to any KRA office around you.
5.The receiving officer should take all of them, stamp them and give you back one of the P10Ds for your files.
6.The manual method requires you to pay at the bank and then go back to KRA to confirm the submission
1.To be able to file your IT1 return online, you will need to register as a user in ITMS. To register follow the steps in the online services step-by-step guide provided on the KRA website www.kra.go.ke/portal
2.To login do the following: Access the KRA portal www.kra.go.ke/portal , Select the link Tax Returns Processing and login by providing your credentials
3.Select the Tab Tax Return ,Click the link Fill in Tax Return, Select the return type e.g. Income Tax individual , Select the year, Click the button Fill Tax Return
4.Enter your ID number, your employers PIN.
- If declaring wifes income, type (YES) in the appropriate field and provide her PIN.
- If declaring separately type (NO)
- NB: If you have no income to declare in all the parts A-K Which deal with other forms of income like farming, rent, insurance, etc. skip the entire part leaving it blank and proceed to Part G (which is employment income )
5.In part G and above, Supply all the details asked.
6.Once you complete filling your return :
a)Press calculate; should there be an error in the return, a message will appear at the bottom of the return describing the error. Correct the error then press calculate again.
b)Check the box to declare that the information you have filled is a true reflection of your income
c)Submit the return by pressing the Submit button
1.Form P9A from Employer.
2.The employers PIN. Request PIN from your employer if not already on the P9A.
3.Financial statements for the following incomes; business income, farming income, rent income.
4.Mortgage Interest Certificate and PIN of lender
5.Insurance Premium Certificate and PIN of underwrite
6.Withholding tax certificates (W44)
7.Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Finance
Treasury Building, Harambee Avenue,
P.O. Box 30007, Nairobi
Tel: OR 0733660606
Any person who earns an income, either from Business or in any other legal way is under obligation to file a tax return.
Its free to apply for a tax return
- The PAYE end of year returns are due on the 28th February following the end of calendar year
- All individual Returns (IT1's) are due on 30th June following the end of the year of income
- Company (IT2C's) & Partnership (IT2P's) Returns are due on the 30th day of the 6th month following end of the business accounting period/date
- Excise Returns are lodged at payment point i.e. Commercial Banks on the 20th day following month of deduction.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Using the online method, it is instantly done after clicking the submit button.
- This usually takes a few minutes.
- Using manual method, it takes about 30 minutes
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
It is a statutory requirement with effect from 2002 year of income to file for tax returns.
1.KRA PIN number
Need for the Document
In all countries, filing tax returns every financial year is mandatory for all the tax payers.The rules and regulations surrounding tax returns differ from one country to another.it will be easy to prepare Tax return accurately to avoid stress and time consuming by preparing the file early instead of waiting for the deadline. A tax return is a personal declaration income made annually to the tax authorities and is used as a basis for accessing an individuals liability for taxation. Returns may be obtained from either Large Taxpayers offices and Domestic Revenue countrywide, using distribution channels such as, Delivery to taxpayers, and through employers to reach their employees or by downloading from the KRA website.
Information which might help
- Once you submit successfully a message appears informing you that your request has been processed successfully.
- If there is payment to be made, select the link Confirm E-Slip.
- If no payment is to be made then the only option available will be Display Tax Return
- The authority has warned it will no longer accept manual filing of returns.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.