Kenya - Apply for a Hunting Permit (License)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Accordingly, A foreigner wishing to apply for a hunting permit in Kenya shall submit his or her application at least six months before the date of beginning of the hunt according to government rules of procedure .
- Hunting game in Kenya is Divided into two categories namely:
- (i) Residents Hunting Game
- (ii) Visitors Hunting Game
- Application for a hunting license is done in person to the Director of Kenya Wildlife Services.(KWS)
- Application forms can be obtained from the KWS offices or from their official Website. Some tourism agents also possess these forms
Residents hunting Game ( In-person Application)
- Any person interested in hunting (e.g. bird shooting) applies to the Director of Kenya Wildlife Services. Application forms can be obtained from the KWS offices or from their official Website. Some tourism agents also possess these forms
- The applicant will then be invited for a test, which is currently conducted four times a year i.e., the first Wednesday of every quarter.
- The candidate is tested on his ability to recognize game birds and non- game birds from projected slides and to answer a series of verbal questions on Wildlife Act where it relates to game bird management.
- Candidates who pass the test can then take on a Game License. He or she will then be given a set of guidelines, rules and conditions which they have to abide to.
Visitors Hunting Game (In Person Application)
- The first step is to acquire a temporary permit for possession of a firearm (TPP) by making an application to the Chief Licensing Officer for firearms.
- Non- resident hunters will book through registered professional hunters (birds).
- The professional hunters (birds) acquire a temporary permit for possession of firearms (TPP) for their visitors. Game Bird License(s) is/ are issued to the professional hunting license birds) holder upon presentation of TPP from the Chief Licensing Officer for firearms.
- In addition, one has to undertake a test and attain a pass to qualify. The test is administered twice a year: third Wednesdays of March and November. The test is composed of two parts as follows;
- The first is a written test, the candidate has to attempt one out of seven papers on wildlife law and one out of five papers on game bird biology. The papers are randomly selected randomly by the candidate. The examination materials are supplied to the candidate to assist the applicant study and understand the scope of the test.
- In the second part, the candidate is tested on gun discipline, which include safety of the visitors and the public and general gun discipline during sport hunting the candidate is tested on his/ her ability and competence in guiding visitors shooting birds. Here safety of the visitor and the public is of importance and one has to demonstrate that he has good control of the shooting party.
- On entering the unit, shooting parties are required to report at designated control post to familiarize themselves with any special conditions imposed by the Warden and sign a register as guided by the Warden.
- On leaving the bird shooting unit, shooting parties are required to sign out at the designated control post as guided by the Warden and to submit returns to the Warden and Director, KWS within seven days and 21 days, respectively.
- Failure to comply with this instruction may result in suspension of the Game License.
- proof of payment of prescribed fees;
- Identity Card in case of A resident making the application
- valid passport A foreigner making the application ,
- hunting license,
- rifle details,
- hunting pass
- hunting equipment Details.
- proof of financial capacity of the applicant;
- compliance with ethical requirements; and
- any other item that may be required by the Service
Office Locations & Contacts
KENYA WILDLIFE SERVICES
Kenya Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 40241 - 00100 Nairobi Kenya
Tel: +254 (20) 6000800,
+254 (20) 6002345
Fax: +254 (20) 6003792
Email Address:[firstname.lastname@example.org Email]
- Any person who has held a Game License for a period of 12 months is eligible for a Professional Hunters License.
- All Foreigners and Resident of Kenya with a hunting pass or license are Eligible.
- Foreigner tourist must have a tourist visa
- Persons who wish to engage in activities of hunting game birds are required to have a Game License (GL) issued by the Licensing Officer. The GL authorizes the hunting of Game birds in such areas, for such periods, and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by the Minister responsible for wildlife.
- Details about the fees payable are provided by the Kenya Wildlife Service Officials. Generally , The price ranges from the minimum of 100 USD for Baboon, to a maximum of 15,000 USD for other animals.
- The hunting validity varies depending on the selected species, which will in turn determine the choice of the hunting area and how uncomfortable this is to reach.
- A very detailed table exists , which is applicable as a frame of reference during the planning phase as indicated above in the procedure. Generally:
- Hunting of single species on plain land generally last at least 21 days.
- Hunting of Lions and Leopards on plain land usually takes 21 days
- Mountain- hunting in Mountain and other Mountain species requires 21days.
- Mountain - and Plain- land Hunting of Mountain and other plain -land species takes 24 days.
- Plain land - and mountain hunting of Mountain , Lions and Leopards requires 30days.
- Upon expiry, a permit may be renewed upon application and payment of the fee prescribed and upon such terms and conditions as the issuing authority may deem necessary to impose.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- It take a period of between six months to one year for the application to be complete
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The person applying for hunting permit in Kenya must apply in Person.
- The applicant must apply for gun owner's license in Kenya before involving in a hunting process.
- The applicant must obtain a hunting pas
- The hunting license,
- The hunting equipment
- Information on special safari vehicles,
- The deluxe tents,
- Information on foods and drinks while in Hunting
- The transports and transfers during the hunting period,
- Information on reception services at arrival and departure at the Kenya Airport as well as all taxes for the Government explorers going with the hunters group.
- packing and shipment of the trophies.
Need for the Document
- There are two categories of Game Licenses, one for residents and the other for visitors.
- For purposes of licensing, a resident is a person who has passed Kenya Wildlife Service qualifying test to shoot game birds and can do sport hunting alone.
- A visitor means someone who has not passed the Kenya Wildlife Service qualifying test to shoot game birds but wishes to do so accompanied by a professional hunter for birds who will always be his or her guide.
Information which might help
- The Regulatory, Enforcement and Compliance Affairs Department of KWS have the overall responsibility for administration, regulation and co-ordination of all transactions in wildlife and their products.
- This is outlined in the following three broad areas:
- Filming Authority
- Export/ Re-export permits Fees
- Wildlife Utilization Permitting
Revocation of permit
- A permit issued under these Regulations may be revoked for any of the following reasons, among others-
- fundamental breach of the terms of the license/permit;
- use of wildlife resources for any other purpose other than authorized purposes;
- if the wildlife resources in the permit holder’s custody are in danger due to neglect and unlawful use;
- if the Service determines that it is in the interest of the long-term conservation of the species that the license be revoked; or
- if corrective action requested by the Service has not been implemented provided that,
the Service shall communicate the intention to revoke a permit and give the permit holder 30 days to show because why the permit should not be revoked.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Licensed bird shooters are advised to take keen note of and abide by bird shooting standard conditions issued to them upon issue of GLs. The standard conditions are as follows:
- Booking of shooting units
- All bookings shall be done at the Kenya Wildlife Service Headquarters at Langata. A Game License holder is required to obtain a firearm certificate from the Central Firearms Bureau in order to make a block booking.
- Shot gun cartridges are restricted to nothing heavier than No. 5 load
- Birds may only be shot in flight.
- Shooting shall be prohibited for a minimum period of four days between bookings.
- Carrying of rifles is prohibited.
- All litter such as paper, to be burned on leaving the unit but tins and bottles must be carried away by every licensee.
- Shooting parties shall adhere to any other special conditions and regulation, specified by the Warden or landowner in respect of individual units and or District.
- All parties are asked to carefully avoid shooting immature birds and not to shoot any bird out of coveys where chicks are in evidence. SHOOTING of immature birds may render those responsible liable to prosecution and or suspension of the license.
- Shooting parties are to adhere to daily bag limits per gun per day.