Wikiprocedure > Kenya

Kenya - Apply for a Deed Poll (Change Name)

From Wikiprocedure

(Redirected from Kenya - Apply for a Deed Poll)

Jump to: navigation, search


Apply In-Person

  1. Visit the Registrar Generals Department and have a copy of the Deed Poll drafted.
  2. Complete a deed poll prescribed as ( Form 1 ) of the Regulations to the Act;
  3. Make an application for registration which is prescribed as Form A in the Registration of Documents (Forms) Regulations;
  4. The Deed Poll is accompanied by a birth certificate of the applicant.
  5. The application is also accompanied by a statutory declaration prescribed under the Act (Form 6). This declaration is sworn by a person resident in Kenya and who personally knows the applicant by the name they want to change.
  6. The documents are presented to the Registrar of Documents for registration
  7. Upon registration, the registrar causes the deed poll to be advertised in the Kenya Gazette. Name change is effected at this point.
Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

Some of the documents which may be required depending on the nature of your application include the following:-

  1. Letter from the area chief
  2. Finger print printout
  3. Deed poll and affidavit to which shall be attached certain requisite documents
  4. An affidavit by a witness who has known you for at least 10 years
  5. Two Passport size photo.
  6. Birth certificate or Baptism certificate.
  7. Identity cards of you parents.
  8. Marriage Certificate
  9. School Leaving Certificate
  10. Sworn affidavits
  11. Copy of parents ID card
  12. Birth Certificate
  13. Divorce Certificate
  14. Parental consent to marriage

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Registrar General Department
Office of the Attorney General Sharia House,
Haram bee Avenue
P.O. Box 40112-00100,
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254-2-2227461/2251355
0711 9445555/0732 529995

Registrar General
Department of Justice,
Co-operative Bank House,
Haile Selassie Avenue,
P.O. BOX 56057- 00200,
Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel No. +254- 2- 2224029/ 2224082/ +254- 733- 241111

Ads by Google


  • Kenya citizen holding a National ID
  • The applicant must be at least 16 years of age in order to legally change his/her name by Deed Poll.
  • A 16-year-old is still a minor, and thus, all that is required of them is consent, in the presence of an advocate, but the entire process is commenced by an adult.
  • For a minor below 16 years of age, no consent is required from them, as they are still of tender age


  • A fee of KSh. 500/= is charged


  • It is valid Forever, i.e, until the applicant is deceased

Documents to Use[edit]

  • Deed poll on change of name (form 1) : Deed Poll
Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • It takes at most 5-21 working days to produce Deed Poll
  • Express deed polls processed within five to ten days
  • Regular service deed polls are processed within twenty one business days.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.

Ads by Google


  1. To legally change your name in Kenya, a deed poll needs to be registered. The deed poll has to be gazette, and it is only after that that one will acquire new identification documents bearing the new name.
  2. As a matter of practice, you will be required to furnish:
    • Letter from the area chief
    • Finger print printout
    • Deed poll and affidavit to which shall be attached certain requisite documents
    • An affidavit by a witness who has known you for at least 10 years
  3. The deed poll is then registered with the Registrar of Documents.
  4. After the registration of the deed poll, the change of your name will be gazette in the Kenya Gazette by the Registrar of Persons.

Required Information[edit]

  1. Old name
  2. New name
  3. Date of birth
  4. Citizenship
  5. Valid proof
  6. Proof of marriage
  7. Proof of divorce
Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

  • A deed poll is a legal document binding only to a single person or several persons acting jointly to express an active intention.
  • It is a legal document binding only to a single person or several persons acting jointly to express an active intention.
  • It is, strictly speaking, not a contract because it binds only one party and expresses an intention instead of a promise.
  • With a deed poll, you can change your forenames and/or surname, add names, remove names or rearrange your existing names.
  • You can change your name at any time and for any reason provided it is not to deceive or defraud or to avoid an obligation.
  • The law governing the use of deed polls In Kenya is the Registration of Documents Act, and the change of names regulations set out in the act. For one to be able to change their names using a deed poll, they must be at least 16 years of age.
  • Where there are two parents, all parents have to consent to the application for the change of name.
  • If a married person makes an application for a change of name, then their spouse has to give consent to the proposed change of name.

Information which might help[edit]

  • The registrar may decline to accept a change of name, if the new name:-
  1. includes at least one forename and one surname
  2. is not possible to pronounce
  3. contains numbers or symbols
  4. contains punctuation marks
  5. is vulgar, offensive or blasphemous
  6. encourages criminal activities
  7. encourages racial or religious hatred
  8. encourages the use of controlled drugs
  9. makes a mockery of people, groups, government departments, companies or organizations
  10. may result in others believing you have a bestowed or inherited honor, title, rank or academic award, for example, changing of the first name to sir, lord, laird, lady, prince, princess, viscount, baron, baroness, general, captain, professor or doctor.
  • A successful registration entitles the applicant to be referred to, and use the new names in his/her everyday business.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

  • It can be used to get all of the applicant’s official documents and records changed to his/her new name.

External Links[edit]

Ads by Google


More information which might help people.