Kenya - Apply for Extension of the Research Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
An application for renewal shall be submitted to the NCST at least three (3) months before the expiry of the permit. A renewal fee of half the original shall be paid.
- For long-term projects taking more than three years, applicants are advised to request for further information from the NCST before submitting their renewal application form.
An application for a research permit renewal must submit two(2) copies to reach the Secretary,National Council for Science and Technology, P.O. Box 30623-00100,Nairobi, Kenya (herein referred to as NCST) at least two months before the expire date the Applicant intends to renew their research Permit in Kenya. 2. The research renewal permit application forms must be accompanied by the following:
- (a) Comprehensive curriculum vitae of all the applicants (2 copies).
- (b) A comprehensive project proposal, including details such as objectives , hypothesis, literature review,methodology and envisaged application of the research results (2 copies).
- (c) A letter from the sponsor, if any (2copies) (Sponsor is the person or body providing financial and or material support towards the project).
- (d) A copy of National Identity Card or Passport
- (e) Two current passport- size photographs of the Applicant duly endorsed by the Sponsor or Referee.
- (f)Institutions must apply in the name(s) of the researcher(s) or head of the institution.
- (g)Non-refundable research application fees payable to the Secretary , National Council for Science and Technology, P.O. Box 30623-00100 , Nairobi.
NACOSTI shall have access to data and the research premises of the project and it may from time to time visit the research projects to familiarize with the work going on and make appropriate recommendations on the project. The affiliating institutions may give to the NACOSTI an evaluation of the preliminary or progress report and to indicate areas that need further action if necessary.
- Complete renewal application(all).
- Photographs (all).
- Payment receipt for appropriate fee(all).
- Letter from sponsor if not self-sponsored.
- Letter of affiliation(all)..
- Letter from host institution abroad (Non-Kenyan).
- Letter of ethical approvals.
- Research proposal.
- Company/institution registration & profile.
Office Locations & Contacts
- National Commission for Science,Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI)
8th - 9th Floor, Utalii House
off Uhuru Highway, Nairobi
P. O. Box 30623, 00100
Land line: 020310571 / 0202241349
Wireless: 020 267 3550
Mobile: 0713 788 787 / 0735 404 245
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit this link for a list of a accredited organization: http://www.nacosti.go.ke/images/docs/LIST%20OF%20ACCREDITED%20INSTITUTIONAL%20ETHICS%20REVIEW%20COMMITTES.pdf
All other Private Universities registered by Commission for Higher Education for Research.
OTHER GOVERNMENT PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS FOR RESEARCH.
- Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI)
P.O. Box 57811 -00200 Nairobi.
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI).
P.O. Box 4840 - 00200 Nairobi.
- Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KEMFRI).
P.O. Box 81651-080100 Mombasa
- Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI)
P.O. Box 30650-00100 Nairobi.
- Kenya Trypanosomiasis Research Institute (KETRI)
P.O. Box 57811-00200 Nairobi
The following are Eligible to apply: -
- All Non-Kenyans intending to do research in Kenya;
- Foreign students intending to come for study tours or undergraduate students coming for a short duration;
- All Kenyans who are studying abroad and intend to do research in the Country;
- Private institutions either Kenyan or Non-Kenyan intending to do research in the country;
- All Kenyans except employees of Government Research Institutions/ Ministries /Departments whose mandate is to do research or as part of their duties or have a Standing Research Clearance; and
- In all cases where the research involves acquiring information/data from the Country or Public and Government organizations.
- Renewal Fees in US$ .
i. Student Attachment/Undergraduate/Diploma.................... ..... US$150
ii. Research (Academic) Masters ......................................US$350
iii. Research (Academic) PhD......................................... US$400
iv. Research (Individual/Post-Doctoral)...............................US$500
Viii.Private foreign Companies..........................................US$ 10,000
Valid for 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 2 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Applications for Research Permits renewal are submitted to the Permit Section, who is responsible for the processing and issuance of new permits.
- Name as shown on the birth certificate/passport
- Date of Birth
- Passport Number
- Marital status
- If in a relationship, give details of spouse/partner and all children under the age of 21 years who are applying for permits
- Residential addresses of the applicant and spouse where they lived for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
- Name and address of any friends, relatives or contacts in Kenya
- Title of Research
- Brief description of this research project
- The name(s) of the local institution(s), which will assist you in your research
- The name(s) of your sponsor(s)
- How the research project will assist or be of value to Kenyan
- Where in Kenya will the research be conducted .
Need for the Document
A researcher who wishes to continue with the research project, beyond the expiry date of the research permit, is require to make a request by filling the Research Authorization Extension Request Form (Form C) for an extension or renewal to the Secretary, NACOSTI. The request should be made at least two (2) months before the expiry of the Permit.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.