Italy - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To apply for your banns to be posted, you must go in person to the consulate with a valid identity document (art. 51, para. 1, of DPR 396/2000 - richiesta di pubblicazione or posting request).
If you are unable to go in person, you can delegate a third party to do so. In this case, you must use a special proxy written on plain paper (i.e. not requiring a tax stamp). This must be accompanied by your identity documents, which must, of course, be valid.
Parties married outside of Italy who have not had their marriage certificate recorded in Italy by the Italian Consulate with territorial jurisdiction over their place of marriage, must present their certificate to the competent consular authority, requesting its registration in Italy, and subsequently obtain the estratto per riassunto dellatto di matrimonio from the Comune, before presenting their application (please be aware that this may take a varying number of months, depending on the Consulate and on the Comune).
- Birth certificate
- A final divorce ( sentenza di divorzio) or annulment decree or death certificate (if previously married)
- If either party is under 18, a sworn statement of consent to the marriage by the parents or legal guardians
- You also need the inevitable fiscal stamp
- You may also need to obtain a certificate of no impediment ( nulla osta) from a consulate stating that according to the laws to which youre subject in your home country, theres no obstacle to your marriage.
Office Locations & Contacts
HomePiazza del Viminale n. 1 - 00184 Roma
TelefonoCentralino tel. 064651
GPS COORDINATE GPS
Booking Office Publications of Marriage
Via della Consolata 23, 10122 Torino Scale sn. 1st floor wheelchair accessible with entrance from Via Giulio 22
Hours: Monday to Thursday from 8.15 am to 15.00 hrs on Fridays 8:15 to 13:50
Phone +39,011,442 5454/5324/5015/5488 5609 Fax +39,011,442
Office of Publications Minutes of Marriage
Uff.2 Tel - 011 442 5323; Uff.3 - 011 442 5195; Uff.4 - 011 442 5600
Office for Civil Weddings in Italy
Tel 011 4425467, 5040.5187
Office civil marriages outside Turin
Office religious marriages in Turin
Office religious marriages outside Turin
Tel 011 4425012, 5153,5422,5014,5423
Tribunale Civile di Roma
Office for "Atti Notori"
Viale Giulio Cesare 54/B
1st floor, Room 86 - Tel: +39 063577 296
Morning: Monday to Friday : 9:00 to 13.00
Afternoon: Thursday 15:00 pm to 16:20
- At least one of the couple must be resident in Italy
- Be over 18 years; or 16 years prior permission of the Juvenile Court
- Be free status: single / never married, divorced / a widower
14.62 if both residents
29,24 if one of the couple residing in another municipality
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You must present all necessary documents, which must be translated into Italian and certified by an Italian Consular Officer.
- All marriages of Italian citizens celebrated in anywhere must also be registered in Italy, so that it may be legally recognized there.
- The stateless persons must submit the decree issued by the competent Ministry of Statelessness.
- The completion of the marriage and updating the same in the database of the Municipality for the following certifications will be provided by the Office of Civil Marriages
- Name of the couple getting married.
- Name of their Witnesses.
- Age of the couple intending to get married.
- Marital history.
Need for the Document
To be married in Italy, a couple must appear before the civil registrar ( ufficiale di stato civile) of the town where the marriage is to take place with two witnesses and make a declaration of their intention to marry.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Check all documents word by word to make sure that there are no discrepancies or changes in the names, last names, dates and places of birth. All documents issued outside Italy must bear the name or family name of the interested parties exactly as issued on the original Italian birth certificate; eg. (Brambilla and not Brimbilla)