Wikiprocedure > Italy

Italy - Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


If the license is convertible the applicant must fill in a form at their local motor registry. Two separate payments must be made using pre-filled "bolletini" or payment slips that are usually distributed with the form at the motor registry.

Applicants also need to provide photocopies of their license, two photographs and a medical certificate issued by a qualified doctor certifying fitness to drive. Non-European Union licenses must be translated and validated by the Italian Consulate in the State in which they were issued. This certification must also be validated by the Prefecture.

It is a good idea to complete the application well before the 12 month period expires as it can take time to gather documentation.

To convert a foreign licence the holder should go to the nearest Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Ufficio Provinciale della Motorizzazione Civile) and be prepared to provide the required documents.

The original licence will be retained or stamped as exchanged. Expect the process to take up to four months, after which an Italian licence will be issued.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Application form TT 2112 (obtained at the Office of Motor Vehicles)
  • The licence and at least one clear photocopy of front and back
  • Valid ID and at least one photocopy of the front and back
  • Residence permit and at least one photocopy of the front and back
  • Two recent passport photographs (white background, head uncovered)
  • Medical certificate issued within the previous three months certifying that the driver is physically and mentally fit
  • Receipt of payment of the fee (for the current fee amount, inquire at the Office of Motor Vehicles)

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministerio delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti
The Italian Ministry of Transport
At: Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico, Via Caraci 36, 00157 Roma
Tel:06 4158 2143

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Firenze
At: Via Lucchese, 160 Sesto Fiorentino loc. S, 50019 Firenze
Tel: 055 306 81
Fax: 055 306 8222
Hours: Monday to Friday, 08:30-12:00

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Genoa
At: Via de Marini 1, Genova Torre WTC, Piano 13, Genoa
Tel: 010 64071
Fax: 010 414084
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 08:30-12:00; Tuesday and Thursday, 08:30-12:00 and 14:30-16:00

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Imperia
At: Via Littardi 97, Imperia
Tel: 0183 780 911
Fax: 0183 781 091
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 08:30-12:00; Tuesday and Thursday, 08:30-12:00 and 15:00-16:30

Search Office of Motor Vehicles



An EU/EEA licence can only be renewed in the holder's country of residence. If the holder of a licence from another EU/EEA country becomes resident in Italy before their licence expires, its next renewal will take place in Italy. It will therefore be converted to an Italian licence, and Italian licence regulations will apply to it.

If the licence or permit does not conform to international conventions, the driver must have that licence officially translated into Italian or carry an International Driving Permit (IDP).


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


The validity periods of licences in the A and B categories are as follows:

  • Ten years for people under the age of 50
  • Five years for those between 50 and 70 years of age
  • Three years for those between the ages of 70 and 80
  • Two years thereafter, with a medical examination by the local health board on renewal

Documents to Use[edit]

Application for the issuance of driving licenses TT 2112


Sample Documents[edit]

Driving licenses

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Though holders of a driver's licence issued by an EU/EEA country are not required to exchange their licence for an Italian licence, they are encouraged to register to have their licence recognised by their local Comune and/or provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Motorizzazione Civile) within 90 days of obtaining residency in order to facilitate renewals and replacement in case of loss or theft. If the driving licence is stolen or destroyed and it was not registered, it will be necessary to go through the original issuing authority for the issuance of a new one.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your names
  • Tax Code
  • Place of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Permanent Address
  • Province
  • License category
  • Signature
  • Citizenship
  • Nationality


Need for the Document[edit]

Many holders of a standard driving licence issued by a country outside the European Union/European Economic Area (non-EU/EEA) may drive in Italy using the foreign licence for up to one year after obtaining residency. For a full list of countries to which this applies, see below.

A valid driving licence issued by a European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) member state is automatically accepted in all other member states. People with an EU/EEA-issued driver's licence who take up residence in Italy are not required to exchange it for an Italian licence, but the holder may optionally exchange it at any time.

Information which might help[edit]

Some countries have a reciprocal exchange arrangement with Italy whereby a person with a valid licence issued by one of these countries may swap their licence for an equivalent Italian one. If such a reciprocal arrangement exists, the foreign licence must be exchanged for an Italian driving licence within the first year of residency. If the exchange is not done within a year, full testing must be successfully completed in order to receive an Italian licence.

As of March 2012, the countries with a reciprocal exchange agreement are: Albania (until 15/08/2014), Algeria, Argentina, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador (until 19/9/2014), the Philippines, Japan, Iceland, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Morocco, Moldova, Norway, Monaco, Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sri Lanka (until 14/11/2016), Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, and Uruguay (Note: This list is subject to change. Please check beforehand with the relevant Embassy or Consulate or through a local office of the Ministry of Transport/Ministero dei Trasporti)

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]



Requirements may vary by regional office. The original licence will be retained or stamped as exchanged. Expect the process to take up to four months after which an Italian licence will be issued.