Wikiprocedure > Italy

Italy - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


The Prefect:

  • authorizes the name change
  • authorizes the change of surname because ridiculous, shameful or the relevant natural origin
  • receives and instructs instances of change of surname.

The final decision is the responsibility of the Minister of Interior.

The applicant must sign the application in the presence of the employee of the Prefecture-UTG employee to receive it, or other delegated person and a photocopy of an identity document of the person concerned.

The question (in stamp or plain paper if you ask for the change of surname because ridiculous, shameful or revealing the natural origin) must be submitted to the Prefecture-UTG and signed by the applicant in the presence of the employee assigned to receive or sent by ordinary post , enclosing a photocopy of an identification document.

The application should be addressed to the Prefect in the case of a request for change of name and / or change of surname because ridiculous, shameful or the relevant natural origin.

In all other cases of change of name, the application must be addressed to the Minister of the Interior through the Prefecture-UTG.

The Prefecture-UTG competent to receive the application is that of the province of the place of residence or place the district in which is situated the register office where he is registered the birth certificate to which the request relates.

If the request to appear worthy of being considered the applicant will be authorized by the Minister of the Interior or the Prefect, to be put up for thirty consecutive days on the municipal of the town of birth and the municipality of current residence, a notice containing a summary of the application.

The same decree may require notification of the summary of the application by the applicant, to certain persons.

Anyone who believes they have an interest, may file an appeal to the Minister of the Interior or the Prefect no later than thirty days from the date of the last posting or notification.

After this term without opposition being filed, the applicant shall submit to the competent prefecture copy of the report stating that performed posting and its duration. The Minister or the Prefect, ascertained the regularity of billboards and evaluated any opposition, will then issue the decree authorizing the change of name and / of surname.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • Certificate of Criminal Record
  • Request Addressed to the Minister of Justice
  • Application addressed to the Registrar
  • Identity Card (original and photocopy)

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministry of the Interior
To contact the Home Office, please contact the following channels:
Piazza del Interior Ministry, 1
Rome 00184
Switchboard 06.4651
Search contact

Ads by Google


Any citizen who intends to change or modify the name and surname must be authorized by the Prefect.

Requests should play exceptional and are allowed only in situations objectively relevant, supported by adequate documentation and significant reasons.

The application may be submitted only by Italian citizens.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


From 31/03/2001 following the entry into force of the Regulations on Civil Status (DPR 3/11/2000 n. 396 published on Gu 12/30/2000 n. 223 / L) is the Ministry of the Interior which provides examination of applications for change of name or adding another name to its (art. 84 et seq. of Presidential Decree 396/2000).

The procedure for change of name or change of surname (because ridicule or shame or because it reveals natural origin) is the responsibility of the Prefect of the province of the place of residence or the one in whose jurisdiction is the office of the state's registered civiledove the birth certificate to which the request relates.

In no case can request the assignment of names of historical importance or such as to mislead as to the membership of the applicant to illustrious families or particularly notes the place where is registered the birth certificate of the applicant or the place of his residence.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help[edit]

  • Obtain all necessary documents in applying for the change of name.
  • Submit your application along with all other requirements.
  • Once the new name or surname is accepted, you may proceed in registering your new name.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]

Interior Ministry of Italy

Government of Italy

Government Ministries

Change name or last name (Cambiamento nome o cognomen)

Ministry of Justice

Change Name

Website of the Prefectures

Ads by Google
Ads by Google


The most important thing to do to legally change your name is to start using your new name. Introduce yourself using your new name, fill out forms and applications under your new name, tell all of your family and friends to only refer to you using your new name, and tell your school and/or employer of your new name.

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name. However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.