Hungary - Obtain a Citizenship Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Fill out the application form.
- Submit your application form along with all other required documents.
- Pay the procedural fee. The amount to be paid will depend on where you are submitting you application.
- Upon receipt your application, the applicant's identity shall be verified and his/her signature shall be authenticated. Subsequently, the application and its attachments shall be forwarded to the Nationality Directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality.
- Completed application form
- a birth certificate
- proof of marital status (marriage certificate, final divorce decree, spouse's death certificate)
- parents' birth and marriage certificates
Hungarian citizens living in Hungary shall attach only their own birth and marriage certificate and the parents' marriage certificate. If they fail to attach the above documents, the Office of Immigration and Nationality shall obtain the registry certificates regarding the domestic registration event ex officio.
If the applicant or his ancestors left Hungary before 1945, it is also expedient to attach the appropriate document in proof or presumptive proof of Hungarian citizenship (such as an old Hungarian passport, identity card, residence certificate or former citizenship documents, former document issued by the contemporary Hungarian authorities, in particular school certificate, occupation card, soldier card, address registration form, documents on change of name, etc).
If the applicant does not reside in Hungary, a power of attorney for service shall also be attached to the application, unless he/she requests that the certificate be forwarded to the Hungarian consular officer. The application shall be accompanied by the application form required for the national registration of registry events that had occurred abroad, and if the applicant wishes to establish a residence in Hungary the application form required for the entry into the citizens' register of personal data and addresses shall also be attached.
Advertise On This Page
Office Locations & Contacts
Immigration and Nationality Office
The following individuals may obtain a citizenship certificate:
- Any person of legal age, living in Hungary or abroad may obtain a citizenship certificate, regardless of his/her citizenship.
- On behalf of a person with limited legal capacity of with no legal capacity his/her legal representative shall proceed.
- An application for verifying the citizenship of another person may be submitted by an applicant who justifies his/her legitimate interest in this regard.
- Attorneys and other authorised persons may not submit the application. However, they may submit the missing documents and receive the certificate if the power of attorney issued to them allows them to perform these actions.
The procedural fee to obtain a citizenship certificate is HUF 3,000 which in Hungary shall be paid in duty stamp. For applications abroad, how the fee shall be paid and the amount charge will depend on the office issuing the certificate.
The certificate is valid for three years from the time it was issued.
Documents to Use
- Hungarian citizen living in Hungary:
- Application for certificate of citizenship:
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
It may take about 60 days for your application to be processed, provided you submitted all necessary supporting documents. Processing time may be longer for incomplete applications.
Advertise On This Page
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Submit your application form in person to the following offices:
- District (capital district) office of the capital and county government office
- Integrated customer service ("e-government")
- Hungarian consular offices
- Regional directorates of the Office of Immigration and Nationality
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The citizenship certificate is a document that proves that an individual is a Hungarian/ Non-Hungarian citizen or ceased to be a Hungarian citizen.
Citizenship certificates containing further information are also available upon request, example: additional information about when and how the applicant acquired his/her Hungarian citizenship, or whether the applicant was a Hungarian citizen at a specific date or time period.
Following are procedures on how you can obtain a citizenship certificate.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The certificate may be used for:
- employment or studies abroad, if requested by a foreign authority,
- processing probate cases,
- purchase of real estate in Hungary,
- in any proceedings before a Hungarian or foreign authority in which the citizenship status must be verified by a citizenship certificate.
- Hungary's Immigration and Nationality Office:
More information which might help people.