Wikiprocedure > Heard Island

Heard Island - Single Status Certificate / Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Before you apply for a single status certificate, check with the Consulate, Embassy or local representative of the country in which you wish to marry to check their legal requirements.

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident wishing to marry overseas, the foreign government may request that you have a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) issued. DFAT in Australia can issue a CNI, however many foreign governments will only accept CNIs issued by the Australian mission (embassy or consulate) within their country. If you are getting married overseas you will need to confirm with the foreign government:

  • Whether or not the CNI is required;
  • Where it should be issued (i.e. in Australia or through an Australian mission overseas);
  • If it needs any additional legalization (authentication or apostille) and
  • If you require a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Record Result' (please note, these are not issued by DFAT, they are issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state or territory).

If applying for a certificate in person three forms of your original identification documents or clear photocopied and certified identification documents must be provided.

If applying by post, three forms of clear photocopied and certified identification documents must be posted with your application. Do not post original documents.

If applying from overseas - The Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will consider current photocopied and certified overseas identification documents equivalent to those stated in the identification lists. Do not post original documents.

If you are applying for a search and Result of Search Certificate on behalf of another person, a letter of authority from the person requiring the certificate must be provided. Three forms of current suitable identification for the applicant and that person must also be provided.


Required Documents[edit]

All certificate applications must be accompanied by identification.

To apply for your own certificate you must provide:

  • Three (3) forms of your own identification (see below).

To apply for a certificate on behalf of another person you must provide:

  • A letter giving permission from the person named on the certificate (include their address, daytime telephone number and signature).
  • Three (3) forms of identification from the person giving permission as shown below.
  • Three (3) forms of your own identification as shown below.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Territories, Environment and Treaties Section
Australian Antarctic Division
Channel Highway
Kingston Tasmania 7050
Phone: +61 3 6232 3209
Fax: +61 3 6232 3500

Australian Antarctic Division

Department of the Environment

Websites of Australia's embassies, high commissions, consulates, multilateral missions and representative offices


Overseas marriage authorities often require evidence a party to the marriage is free to marry. Such evidence may be a Result of Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

This certifies that you have never been married in Australia, or if previously married, no further marriage has been registered in Australia. The Result of Marriage Search application is available from the download form below.

Single Status certificates are available residents or previous residents or their authorized representatives. It only covers the period in which you were a resident of Australia.


  • Fees are based on years searched. A standard fee of $51 includes a 10 year search and certificate.
  • Each extra 10 year search or part thereof incurs an additional cost of $41.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Single Status certificate application form

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


All certificates are distributed through Registered Post and include postage and handling. However, this does not ensure next day delivery. The Registry searches for any marriage that occurred after the age of 16, or the date of arrival in Australia. If you have been previously married, the search commences from the date the previous marriage ended.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses

Need for the Document[edit]

The Heard Island and McDonald Islands are an Australian external territory and volcanic group of barren Antarctic islands, about two-thirds of the way from Madagascar to Antarctica.

A Single Status Certificate or Affidavit also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

To prove single status for a given period within Australia, complete a: Single Status certificate application

You may require a Single Status certificate if you intend to be married overseas or if you are returning to your country of residence to be married. It certifies if you have been married in Australia during a specified period.

Information which might help[edit]

Application checklist

Make sure you:

  • Fill out the whole application form.
  • Submit all required proof of identity documents.
    • Online or mail: Submit certified photocopies of each document.
    • In person: Submit either original proof of identity documents or certified photocopies.
  • Provide the required application fee. You can pay by:
    • Online: Visa or MasterCard.
    • Mail: Visa, MasterCard, money order or personal cheque.
    • In person: Cash, EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, money order or personal cheque.

Proof of Identity Documents

Three documents are required, one from each list below:

List 1 - Evidence of link between photo and signature

  • Australian driver licence (or learner permit)
  • Australian passport
  • Australian firearm licence
  • Overseas passport

List 2 - Evidence of operating in the community

  • Medicare card
  • Credit card or ATM card
  • Australian security guard or crowd controller licence
  • Marriage Certificate issued by the Victorian Registry
  • Student or tertiary identity card
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs card
  • Working with Children Check card

List 3 - Evidence of current residential address

  • Utility account (including gas, water, electricity, mobile or home phone)
  • Rates notice
  • Centrelink concession card (Pension Concession Card, Health Care Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
  • Bank statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
  • Current lease or tenancy agreement
  • Superannuation fund statement

All applicants note

  • All documents must be current
  • If you cannot provide an identity document from List 1 you must provide two from List 2 and one from List 3
  • Your List 3 identity document must show your current residential address
  • A List 1 identity document can also be used as a List 3 identity document if it shows your current residential address
  • Bank statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months
  • If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation fund or utility company.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

External Links[edit]

About Heard Island

Australian Antarctic Division Australia in Antarctica


Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.