Wikiprocedure > Heard Island

Heard Island - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



There is nothing stopping anyone taking on a new name without going through an official name change process. This is called name by association, and you are free to call yourself what you wish, regardless of what is noted on your birth certificate. Conducting day to day business, such as opening a bank account or getting a drivers license for example will be almost impossible in your assumed name if it is not legally recognized. The process for changing your name and getting a certificate that testifies to your new name (and therefore making your day to day business a lot easier!) is quite a simple and straight forward process that does not cost a lot.

Registration process

Effective 1 April 1996 the Registry assumed the administrative responsibility for registering all changes of name in NSW. All changes of name are registered in accordance with provisions contained in Part 5 of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1995.

The Land Titles Office no longer registers Deeds Poll or Instruments Evidencing Change of Name.

A person is legally able to change his or her name. If a person alters their name or uses an additional or other name with the intention to act fraudulently or with an intention to deceive or in any other way which contravenes the law, they may be subject to criminal proceedings.

A person may use a new name without any formal steps. At common law, a person will not actually change his or her name until the person has used and become known by the new name. Under the Registry's legislation the name is changed once it is registered.

Occasions arise where a person will be asked to provide proof of change of name (for example as proof of identity or to obtain a passport). For these reasons a person may record their new name or alteration of their name by registering a Change of Name at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The Six Recommended Steps to Changing Your Name

  • The below information is for standard name changes only. If you are changing your name as a result of marriage or divorce, the process will be different.
  • See if you are eligible to change your name in your state / territory.
  • Put careful consideration into your name change decision; ensure that you do really want to change your name, and what this new name will be.
  • Print off an application to register a change of name form (included in the kit), complete it and have it witnessed if applicable.
  • Collate the necessary identification documents.
  • If you are applying by mail, arrange to have your identification documents certified.
  • Post your application or attend the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages to submit your application with the prescribed fee.
  • Once you have received your Change of Name Certificate, start changing your name with organizations.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Certificate of Criminal Record
  • Request Addressed to the Minister of Justice
  • Application addressed to the Registrar
  • Identity Card (original and photocopy)

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Territories, Environment and Treaties Section
Australian Antarctic Division
Channel Highway
Kingston Tasmania 7050
Phone: +61 3 6232 3209
Fax: +61 3 6232 3500
Australian Antarctic Division contacts
The Territory of Heard Island contacts


The Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands (HIMI), the HIMI Marine Reserve are managed by the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) of the Department of the Environment.


The fee of $174 includes the registration of the Change of Name and the issue of a Standard Certificate.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


Unless you are changing your name as a result of marriage or divorce, you can only change your name once every 12 months. Some states have rules about how many times you are allowed to change your name.

If you are applying to your state's Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages to change your name (that is, your name change is not related to marriage or divorce), your change of name application may be refused if:

Your intended name is offensive, too long, includes symbols without phonetic significance or is contrary to the public interest;

  • You cannot provide sufficient proof of identification;
  • You have already changed your name within the past 12 months;
  • You are not an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • You are not a normal resident of the state you have applied in, or
  • The authorities believe you may be engaging in fraudulent or illegal activities.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence

Need for the Document[edit]

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help[edit]

The Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands (HIMI), the HIMI Marine Reserve are managed by the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) of the Department of the Environment.

  • Obtain all necessary documents in applying for the change of name.
  • Submit your application along with all other requirements.
  • Once the new name or surname is accepted, you may proceed in registering your new name.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]

Australian Antarctic Division

Department of the Environment

Australia - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

Changing Your Name

Heard Island


The most important thing to do to legally change your name is to start using your new name. Introduce yourself using your new name, fill out forms and applications under your new name, tell all of your family and friends to only refer to you using your new name, and tell your school and/or employer of your new name.

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name. However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.