Guntur - Register a Trade Mark (Brand Name)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The first step to register a trademark is to specify the categories under which you would like to register a trademark. Classes 1-34 deal with goods, while Classes 35-45 deal with services.
- Word and logo trademarks have to be filed separately. This means that the name of your brand should be filed under Class X and separately for any graphic representation (your logo) under Class X.
- You will need to sign a Power of Attorney to authorize your lawyer to act as your agent. A trademark can be filed in individual capacity but filing through a trademark lawyer is the norm.
- A trademark search is optional but allows you to go through the process smoothly and identify in advance any conflicts that may arise.
- The lawyer will file your trademark application with the Trademark Office and send you the receipt. After a few days, the lawyer will send you the Original Representation Sheet of your trademark as it has been filed with the Trademark Office.
- Once your trademark is approved it is published in the Trademark Journal.
- Office locations and contact information : Contact link
- For filing new applications there are prescribed forms depending on the nature of application such as Form TM-1, TM-2, TM-3, TM-8, TM-51 etc.
You could also file on-line through the following link : Online Link
- Power of Attorney signed by the applicant. In the case of corporate body, by the Director or Legal representative of company
- Graphical representation of the design
- Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
- Intellectual Property India,
- Intellectual Property India,
- Boudhik Sampada Bhavan,
- Antop Hill, S.M. Road, Mumbai-400037
- Phone : + 022-24132735 / Fax : + 022-24123322
- E:mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trademarks can be filed either by the company (and hence owned by the company and its shareholders) or by the founder (and licensed to the company)
- Rs 3500/- per mark per class
- Lawyers will charge Rs 1000/- to Rs 3000/- per mark per class
- Rs 500/- for trademark search
- The term of registration of trademark is 10 (Ten) years, but may be renewed subject to the payment of the prescribed fee, in accordance with the provisions of the Trademarks Act, 1999.
- An application for renewal of a trademark can be filed within six months from the expiry of the last registration of trademark.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes between 18 and 24 months to receive a trademark.
Andhra Pradesh - Register a Trade Mark (Brand Name)
How to select a trade mark:
- If it is a word it should be easy to speak, spell and remember.
- The best trade marks are invented words or coined words.
- Please avoid selection of a geographical name. No one can have monopoly right on it.
- Avoid adopting laudatory word or words that describe the quality of goods (such as best, perfect, super etc)
- It is advisable to conduct a market survey to ascertain if same/similar mark is used in market.
Who can apply for a trade mark and how :
Any person claiming to be the proprietor of a trade mark used or proposed to be used by him may apply in writing in prescribed manner for registration. The application should contain the trade mark, the goods/services, name and address of applicant and agent (if any) with power of attorney , period of use of the mark and signature. The application should be in English or Hindi. It should be filed at the appropriate office.
benefits of registering a Trademark :
The registration of a trade mark confers upon the owner the exclusive right to the use of the registered trade mark and indicate so by using the symbol (R) in relation to the goods or services in respect of which the mark is registered and seek the relief of infringement in appropriate courts in the country. The exclusive right is however subject to any conditions entered on the register such as limitation of area of use etc. Also, where two or more persons have registered identical or nearly similar mark due to special circumstances such exclusive right does not operate against each other.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- Protects your hard earned goodwill and others from cashing on your goodwill in the business
- Protects your Name / Brand Name from being used in a same or similar fashion, by any other business firm,
- Gives products a status of Branded Goods
- The exclusive right to the use of the trade mark and to obtain relief in respect of infringement (misuse by others) of the trade mark.
- A trade mark (brand name) is a visual symbol which may be a word, signature, name, device, label, numerals or combination of colors used by one
- The legal requirements to register a trade mark under the Act are:
- The selected mark should be capable of being represented graphically (that is in the paper form).
- It should be capable of distinguishing the goods or services of one undertaking from those of others.
- It should be used or proposed to be used in relation to goods or services for the purpose of indicating
Information which might help
- It is advisable to conduct a trademark search for the relevant classes before filing the application to register a trademark in order to make sure that there is no identical or similar trademark already registered or for which an application for registration has been submitted.
- Generally, one who has filed an application (pending registration) can use the TM (trademark) designation with the mark to alert the public of his exclusive claim. The claim may or may not be valid. The registration symbol, ®, may only be used when the mark is registered.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.