Ethiopia - Apply for Dual Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Because dual citizenship is not recognized there is no given procedure for applying for it in Ethiopia. However a directive of obtaining citizenship is given and is illustrated below:-
- Obtain the application for the Ethiopian origin ID card from the Ethiopian Embassy or consulate office; make two copies and fill it in accurately.
- Attach three (3) photographs which should be 3-by-4 inches attach other required documents which include a copy of the parents' Ethiopian identity card; Kebele council testimony letter; and proof of nationality; proof of residence in Ethiopia for more than five years; police certificate to show you do not have a criminal past, and proof of financial security.
- Foreigners who wish to obtain citizenship from marriage should fill out Form Two of the application.
- Ensure that all documents from Ethiopia are Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and others obtained from outside Ethiopia should be authenticated by the embassy or consulate office in that country where they were obtained.
- Submit two (2) copies of the application, along with the attached documents, to the nearest Ethiopian Embassy or consulate office.
- When application as accepted, an applicant is required to pay a fee, $500 before you can obtain the Ethiopian origin identity card.
- Passport is required
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate
- Identification document
- Nation social security card if you have it
- A covering letter from Interpol police
- Two current passport photos
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Telephone +251 115517345
Fax +251 115514300
Website : http://www.mfa.gov.et
Ethiopians in Diaspora and children born to Ethiopian parents outside the country
- Processing fees US $100(One Hundred US Dollar)
- Applicant in Ethiopia every child US $60 (Sixty US Dollar
Valid till a child attains 18 years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Because the government does not recognize dual citizenship for adults the process is quick it take less than 7 days for young one who are less than 18 years.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You will have to get a Birth Document from the hospital certifying that the child is born at the hospital, who the parents are and details regarding the new born. You will have to fill up a form with the parent's detail and give it to the hospital before they can process this birth document.
- You will also have to give them a copy of your wife's marriage certificate and passport.so that it is easy for them to verify your documents.
- Full name of applicant(name and address)
- Sex, Age and marital status
- Country of birth / residence of applicant
- Parents details (name, address, occupation, nationality, country of residence)
- Dates of Birth (applicant and parents)
Need for the Document
Dual citizenship is holding a citizenship of a country alongside another countrys citizenship. In Ethiopia dual citizenship is not recognized; an individual cannot hold Ethiopian citizenship alongside another countrys citizens. He or she must renounce foreign citizenship in order to obtain Ethiopian citizenship. Therefore for foreigners to live in Ethiopia permanently, they must renounce their citizenship and become citizens of Ethiopia by acquiring an original Ethiopian Identity card.
Information which might help
- To be eligible to apply for Ethiopian citizen or Identity Card, Individuals must be over the age of 18 who has both or one of his / her parent an Ethiopian citizen; and citizens of a foreign country who have married an Ethiopian citizen.
- An Ethiopian Origin ID card is a Yellow Card.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- An Ethiopian Identification Card is valid for five year from date of its issuance.
- In cases where an identity card is damaged or lost, the holder can replace it by filling out and submit the appropriate form and should attach a police record or affidavit attesting to the loss of the card.
- If someone wishes to renounce Ethiopian citizenship / return the Ethiopia Identity Card, he / she must do the following.
- Obtain the appropriate form, fill it out.
- Prepare and attach a forwarding letter stating that the card is being returned willing then submit.
- Endeavour to Return ID cards belonging to all other family members
- To obtain an Ethiopian Identity Card, an applicant may be required to make the following payments:
- Issuance of the identification Card
- Applicant in Ethiopia US $100(One Hundred US Dollar)
- Renewal of an Identification Card
- Applicant in Ethiopia US $40(Forty US Dollar)
- Replacement of an Identification Card
- Applicant in Ethiopia US $60 (Sixty US Dollar)