Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - Procedure to Notify DVLA when selling your Vehicle

From Wikiprocedure
Revision as of 05:25, 27 February 2018 by Wesley (talk | contribs) (Created page with "==Procedure== You should notify DVLA immediately using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate. You should also keep a separate note of the buyer's...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


You should notify DVLA immediately using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate. You should also keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address details.

Registration certificate V5C
  • If you have a registration certificate you must complete section 6 'new keeper or new name/new address details' of the V5C. Both you and the buyer must sign section 8 and send the V5C immediately to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. You must also give the buyer the properly completed V5C/2 section.
  • If you sell the vehicle to a 'motor trader' (see notes on back of the V5C/3 for definition) you must complete the V5C/3 section.
  • You must also obtain the details and signature of the motor trader and post it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Dont rely on anyone else to send it in. Both the V5C and V5C/2 sections (uncompleted) should then be passed to the trader. The registration certificate has accompanying guidance notes INS 160. These notes are available for download below.
  • Remove your tax disc from the vehicle and you can apply for a refund of vehicle tax for complete calendar months remaining on the tax disc. DVLA cannot pay your refund until notification that you have sold/transferred your vehicle has been received.
If you no longer have your registration certificate V5C
  • If you don't have a registration certificate you can still tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle.
  • To do this you will need to write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:
    • vehicle registration mark
    • make and model
    • exact date of sale
    • name and address of the new keeper
  • However, note that DVLA records wont be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.


Required Documents

  • Your identity documents
  • Your Residential address proof
  • Vehicle registration document
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • full valid current passport
    • biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
Return of your identity documents
  • DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
  • If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.

Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.

Advertise On This Page

Office Locations & Contacts

For nearest DVLA local office



Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Please explain the processing your application.    

Advertise On This Page

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • If you sell your vehicle you should notify DVLA immediately using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate.
  • You should also keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address details.
  • If you are selling to a motor trader you can find more information using the link below.
  • Once you have informed DVLA, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement letter, within four weeks, confirming the discharge of liability for your vehicle. Please allow four weeks to receive the letter before contacting the DVLA.
  • Youll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before you sell the vehicle. If you dont, youll lose your entitlement to the registration number.

Required Information

  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Make, model, colour
  • VIN, Chassis or Frame number
  • Residential Address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document

You must notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of the exact date of sale or transfer of your vehicle using the registration document or certificate. You and the buyer should follow the procedures correctly or you will remain liable for the vehicle until DVLA records have been updated.

Information which might help

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links

  • Directgov How to notify DVLA if you sell your vehicle
  • Identity documents and photograph criteria
  • Applying for a refund of vehicle tax
  • Personalised registration and number plates



More information which might help people.

[[Category :England]