Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply for Industrial accident/Injuries Disablement Benefit

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit by completing a claim form.
  • Send this claim form to your regional disablement benefit office.
  • You can get a claim form from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre or download a copy.

Reporting a work accident

  • You can apply for a declaration that you have had an industrial accident, even if you do not want to claim any benefit right away.
  • It is a good idea to apply for a declaration if you are not disabled immediately after your accident, but you think you may experience problems in the future as a result.

What to do if your circumstances change

  • It is important you contact the office that deals with your payments if you or someone you claim for:
    • Goes into or leaves hospital
    • Goes into or leaves a care home
    • Goes abroad to live or visit
  • Goes into prison
  • It is likely you or the person you are caring for will continue to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - even if you are going abroad permanently.
  • Reduced Earnings Allowance is not payable if you move abroad permanently.
  • The office that deals with your payment can give you more information.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your Identity
  • Birth certificate, passport, drivers licence for proof of age
  • Residential Proof
  • Medical Certificate
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • Full valid current passport
    • Biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • Recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • Photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • Marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • College or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.

Advertise On This Page

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

  • North East England
Jobcentre Plus Hartlepool IIDB Centre
Gateshead NE92 1AP
Phone: 0845 600 1587
Textphone: 0845 608 8551
  • Scotland, North West England, East of England, South East England and London
Jobcentre Plus Barrow IIDB Centre
Pittman Way
Preston PR11 2AB
Phone: 0845 603 1358
Textphone: 0845 608 8551
  • Yorkshire and the Humber, East and West Midlands, South West England and Wales
Jobcentre Plus Barnsley IIDB Centre
Brightside Lane
Sheffield S99 1AB
Phone: 0845 758 5433
Textphone: 0845 608 8551
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centres
  • Money, tax and benefits contacts



You may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if:

  • You were employed when the accident or event happened
  • The work accident or event that caused your illness or disability happened in England, Scotland or Wales

There are some exceptions you can ask your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre about.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Advertise On This Page

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you're ill or disabled because of an accident or event that happened in connection with work.
  • The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.
  • You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed in work that caused your accident.
  • The amount of benefit you get depends on:
    • Your age
    • The seriousness of your disability - assessed by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 per cent
  • All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.
  • If you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, this may affect other benefits you might receive that depend on how much money you have coming in.
  • If you get Income Support or Pension Credit, or any other kind of benefit because you are on a low income, contact the office that handles your claim for further information.
  • If your health or disability affects the way you do your job, the Access to Work scheme may help you to stay in work.
Other benefits you may be able to receive

Constant Attendance Allowance

  • You can claim for accidents where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.
  • The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you are paid is based on a doctor's assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

  • You can claim 63.30 paid in addition to the Constant Attendance Allowance rates, if you are assessed at Constant Attendance Allowance intermediate or exceptional rate and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

  • You may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if your current earnings, or earnings in a job which it is considered you could do, are less than the current earnings in your previous regular occupation. You can only get REA if your accident occurred before 1 October 1990. The maximum weekly rate is 63.24.

Retirement Allowance

  • Retirement Allowance replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age. The maximum weekly rate is 15.81.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Nationality
  • Contact address
  • Telephone/Mobile number
  • Information about your illness or disability


Need for the Document[edit]

You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you're ill or disabled because of an accident or event that happened in connection with work.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov - Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centres
  • How benefits and pensions are paid
  • Reduced Earnings Allowance
  • Access to Work - practical help at work (disabled people section)



More information which might help people.