England - Apply for Special Support Grant
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
New students from England
- Create a student finance online account - LINK. When you create an account, youll be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer. It is important to keep these safe as youll need them to log into your account to check the progress of your application and re-apply for student finance next year.
- Log in using your student finance account and submit your application. Before you start your online application, you should have the following to hand:
your valid UK passport, if you have one;
your university and course details;
your bank account details;
your National Insurance number.
Note: Include details of your household income and get your parents (or partner) to support your application, if needed.
- Send in proof of identity, if needed.
- Print, sign and return the Student Finance Online Declaration Form
If you cant apply online, use Student finance forms.
You may call Student Finance England if you want to apply online but you cant use a computer without help.
Continuing students from England
Youre a continuing student if you got finance last year. Log in to your student finance account and apply online.
Theres a different process if you became a part-time student before 1 September 2012.
- Completed application forms
- For new full-time students, there are two types of evidence you will be asked to submit proof of identity and proof of household income - More Info
Advertise On This Page
Office Locations & Contacts
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ
Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm
Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Instead of a Maintenance Grant you can get Special Support Grant if:
- Youre a single parent responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education.
- You have a partner who is also a full-time student and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education.
- You have a disability and qualify for the Disability Living Allowance, Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium.
- You qualify for housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.
- Youre deaf and qualify for Disabled Students Allowances.
- You have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks.
- You have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Youre waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended.
- Youre aged 60 or over.
To apply for a Special Support Grant you must be a full-time UK student. Part-time and EU students cant apply.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
You must apply for student finance every year.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Advertise On This Page
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Special Support Grant: The amount you will get from a Special Support Grant is the same as the Maintenance Grant, but it wont affect the amount of Maintenance Loan you can get. You may get the Special Support Grant if, for example, youre a lone parent or have certain disabilities.
Applying for Student Finance: The easiest and quickest way to apply is online. You don not have to worry if you havent accepted a place at university or college yet. You can apply using your preferred choice and update the details later.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The Special Support Grant replaces the Maintenance Grant for full-time students in certain circumstances.
Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Special Support Grant.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Student finance guides for 2015 to 2016:
- The Student Room:
More information which might help people.