Wikiprocedure > Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic - Obtain a Certificate of Capacity to Marry / Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


A statutory declaration or affidavit is a declaration made in a prescribed form before a solicitor, a notary public or another person authorised to administer an oath (commissioner of oaths) and it is mainly used to support certain applications or as evidence in court proceedings.

In the case of weddings in the Dominican Republic, the statutory declaration or certificate of no-impediment will state that you are free to marry, but please note that this document is per person; it is not a joint declaration. It should contain their full name, address, nationality, religion, passport number and occupation as well as their intent to marry in the Dominican Republic; and it must be signed and stamped by the notary public or solicitor who produced it.

If either partner is single, the statutory declaration may be called single status statutory declaration or single status affidavit. In other countries such as Cuba, this same document is generally called certificate of no impediment to marriage.

Usually and regardless of how you call it, this document can only be obtained within 3 months of the intended wedding date.

  1. Fill in the application form.
  2. Submit the form along with all other required documents.
  3. Pay appropriate fee.


  • Consular offices are entitled to refuse to issue certificates to a citizen if consular staff doubt the usefulness of Certification, and if they think this certification will harm the future interests of the Applicant, or that of the Consular Office .


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed application form
  • Valid Dominican Passport


  • For any service, consular offices may request additional requirements to be submitted by the applicant.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores

Avenida Independencia No.752

Estancia San Gernimo, Distrito Nacional,

Capital de la Repblica Dominicana.

Contact Numbers

  • Central: 809.987.7001 / 535.6280
  • RAI: 809.987.7019
  • Legalization: 809.987.7638
  • Consular: 809.987.7624
  • RH: 809.987.7027
  • Financial: 809.987.7111
  • Administrative: 809.987.7089
  • Protocol: 809.987.7031

For consular offices abroad

Email: [email protected]

MIREX website

Attorney General of the Dominican Republic (Procuradura General de la Repblica Dominicana)
Centro de Atencin al Ciudadano
Av. Mximo Gmez #21, Esq. Bolvar
Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.
Telephone: 809-533-3522 (ext. 3028)
Email: [email protected]
List of diplomatic missions of the Dominican Republic



All citizens of the Dominican Republic may request the consular office of the country for the issuance of the certificate of capacity to marry.

Whether single, divorced or widowed, both partners will need to have their birth certificates and two statutory declarations (also known as affidavits and certificates of no impediment) precisely translated and legalized before the wedding.


Application fee: 15.00

The amount payable is in U.S. dollars (USD), in European areas it will be EUROS or in the currency of the country where the Consular Office is.

The amount of application fee varies, depending on the cost of living in the city where the Consular Office is located.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Processing time may take about 10 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the urgency of the request, the number of previous requests being processed and staff availability.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Sworn declaration before a notary public, of being single and eligible to marry; the sworn declaration then needs to be legalized at the Offices of Procuradura General de La Repblica.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses


Need for the Document[edit]

Certificate of Capacity to Marry is a document issued by the government of the Dominican Republic stating that under Dominican laws regarding the mandatory publication of edict and the minimum requirements established by the Dominican Civil Code, a man or woman can marry.

Following are procedures on how to obtain a certificate of capacity to marry.

A Single Status Certificate also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

Information which might help[edit]

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

External Links[edit]

  • Consular services portal of the Dominican Republic:

Ministries of Dominican Republic

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MIREX)



It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the Dominican Republic. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

This can be obtained from your local department of foreign affairs or your embassy in the country in which you are getting married.

Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit that you are free to marry

These are similar to a Certificate of No Impediment, but instead you have to swear you are single in front of a legal representative.