Wikiprocedure > Cuba

Cuba - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Can apply to the Civil Registry where birth or in which corresponding to their address was entered.

The application must accompany the following documents:

  • Literal certification of birth registration.
  • Documents evidencing the circumstances justifying the application of the name change.

In general, since there are several assumptions to request the name change, they should supply the items of baptism and, where appropriate, propose any witnesses.

The name change request can be performed at any time.


Required Documents

  • Literal certification of birth registration.
  • Documents evidencing the circumstances justifying the application of the name change.

Office Locations & Contacts

Ministry of Justice
Postal Address: Calle O # 216 between 23 and 25. Revolucin.La Plaza de la Habana. Cuba.
Phone: (537) 838 3450 56
Email: [email protected]

Yellow Pages - Cuba Portal



The name change can request anyone with good cause, either by itself or through its legal representative.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



As in the previous case, changing the name of a person who is registered in the Registry can not be made arbitrarily: it must be demonstrated that obeys a particular reason and that change will not cause harm to a third party. Usually the name already registered can only be modified if it is contrary law, that is, if objectively harms the person becomes confused identification and / or misleading about sex. Still, it is possible to change the name when you want:

  • Translate a foreign name to any of the Spanish languages.
  • Rename canonically inscribed by the tax, whichever is the commonly utilizase.
  • Rename for his birthday equivalent in any of the Spanish languages.

Required Information

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence


Need for the Document

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help

Typically, you may legally change your name to whatever name you'd like. There are some exceptions, though:

  • You can't change your name just to escape debt liability or to hide from criminal liability.
  • You can't change your name in order to commit a crime.
  • You can't change your name with the intention to mislead. This usually involves taking the name of a famous person. Courts typically do not allow this, unless you have a convincing reason that is not related to the famous person or the use of his or her name.
  • You can't choose a confusing name one that includes numerals or punctuation. However, some courts have permitted people to spell out the numbers, for example "Seven" instead of "7".
  • You can't choose a name that would intimidate, offend, or be considered obscene.
  • You can't choose a racial slur.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links

Site of the Government of the Republic of Cuba

Ministry of Justice



How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.

To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.