Cote Divoire - Apply for Dual Citizenship
Revision as of 05:54, 21 December 2017 by Wesley (Created page with "==Procedure== Obtaining Dual Citizenship in Cote dIvoire can be obtained in two ways i.e. i.Foreigner may acquire Cote dIvoire citizenship while retaining the citizenship of...")
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Obtaining Dual Citizenship in Cote dIvoire can be obtained in two ways i.e.
i.Foreigner may acquire Cote dIvoire citizenship while retaining the citizenship of his / her original country; and
ii.A person who holds citizenship of Cote dIvoire may acquiring citizenship of another country while retaining the citizenship of Cote dIvoire;
Below is how dual citizenship can be acquired:
1.Dual citizenship may be acquired by birth: In this case, children born in Cote d'Ivoire to foreign parents may apply for Cote d'Ivoire nationality by birth alongside the citizenship of his / her parents;
2.Also a child born a broad to at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Cote d'Ivoire, can acquire citizenship of Cote d'Ivoire by descent alongside citizenship of another country where he / she is born;
3.Dual citizenship may be acquired also after adoption: This is if a child of a foreign is adopted by a citizen of Cote dIvoire, he / she can acquire the citizenship of the adoptive parent without renouncing his / her original nationality;
4.Also a foreign woman who marries a husband from Ivory Coast acquires citizenship of the husband at the time of celebrating marriage and in this case there is no requirement for renouncing her original citizenship hence she becomes a dual citizen in the country. In this case the woman after the marriage celebration is required to submit application for citizenship together with marriage certificate to the Minister of Justice. This is to enable the minister take note of the marriage and records new citizen;
5.Further citizenship can be obtained by naturalization: In this case, the foreign needs to meet requirements for naturalization, apply for citizenship to the minister of justice who carries an investigation to assess eligibility;
6.A citizen of Cote dIvoire may also acquire citizenship of a foreign country after marrying a foreigner and in this case there is no need to renounce Cote dIvoire citizenship if the husbands country accepts dual citizenship;
- Identification documents for the applicant
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of nationality of parents (Birth certificates / passports / national identity card)
- Marriage Certificate (Citizenship by Marriage)
- Police clearance certificate
- Health certificate
- Proof of investment (Applicants for naturalization)
- Proof of fulfillment of residence requirement (Applicants for naturalization) for instance copies of utility bills
Office Locations & Contacts
- Ministry of Justice
Bloc Ministriel Boulevard Angoulvant, Abidjan Plateau
Telephone: 20 32 07 58
Fax: 20 32 81 01
Email: [email protected]
Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years, staying in the country at the time of applying and must meet any other requirements.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Valid for a long time
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
processing takes between 6 month and 12 months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- An applicant must be a person of sound mind;
- An applicant must be of good character;
- Must be of good health;
- Foreigners must ensure that their original countries accept dual citizenship;
- Applicants must be aware that being born within the territory of Cote d'Ivoire does not mean that the person automatically acquires citizenship;
- Only children born to unknown parent in Cote d'Ivoire can automatically acquire citizenship;
- Applicants must meet the age requirement;
- Applicants who are underage must get authorization for parents or guardians;
- Application for citizenship must be submitted in person;
- At the time of submitting application, the applicant must be in the country;
- Applicants for citizenship by naturalization must have resided in the country for at least five (5) years;
- Applicants for citizenship by naturalization must also ensure that they have made significant investments in the country or rendered a special service to the country;
- Full name and address of applicant
- Sex, Age and Marital status
- Original Nationality
- Type of citizenship an applicant wishes to acquire
Need for the Document
Dual citizenship means holding two nationalities of two different countries. In Cte d'Ivoire, dual citizenship means possession Cte d'Ivoire citizenship along with citizenship of another country.
The Cte d'Ivoire law provides an opportunity for foreign citizens to acquire Cte d'Ivoire citizenship without renouncing their original one and allows citizens of Cte d'Ivoire to acquire foreign citizenship alongside their original (Cte dIvoire) citizenship; thus dual citizenship is allowed in Cte d'Ivoire.
Information which might help
Applicants must note that a person may voluntarily renounce Cote dIvoire citizenship if he she wishes to and on the other hand citizenship may be revoke involuntarily where need arises.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
1.It allows a person to have rights in the given countries;
2.If a country recognizes dual citizenship, investors are attracted hence bring development to the country;
3.Cote dIvoires citizens who may acquire citizenship of a foreign country involuntary are able to retain their citizenship;