China - Apply for Chinese Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You should complete all parts of the application form that are applicable to you.
- Items that are not applicable should be crossed out and signed.
- You should also sign and date the declaration of your application.
- The application will be invalid if the declaration part is not completed.
- If you are unable to sign, please impress your left thumbprint on the form.
- If you are aged under 18 on the date of application, a parent or legal guardian must sign the declaration.
- An acknowledgement will be given to you to acknowledge receipt of your application which was submitted in person, or sent by post if you applied through the mail.
- Application forms
- Valid passport
- The non-criminal records abroad authenticated by embassies and consulates stationed abroad of China.
- The health guarantee certificate by Health quarantine department appointed by Chinese government or foreign medical organization of the hygiene authenticated by embassies and consulates stationed abroad of China.
- Four recent front colorful photos with hat off of 2".
- Other documents prescribed by this measure
Office Locations & Contacts
Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
Address: No.1208, Minsheng Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai
Post Code: 200135
Anti-corruption hotline: 68547485
Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Beijing Public Security Bureau
Address: No.2 Andingmen Dongjie, Dongcheng District, Beijing
Office hours: Monday to Saturday 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m.
Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Shanghai Public Security Bureau
Address: No.1500 Minshenglu Pudong New District, Shanghai
Office hours: Monday to Saturday 9:00a.m.-5:00p.m.
Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Chongqing Public Security Bureau
Address: No.555 Huangnibang, Yubei District, Chongqing
Office hours: Monday to Saturday
Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Guangzhou Public Security Bureau
Address: F6 No.155 Jiefang South Road, Guangzhou
Office hours: Monday to Friday
Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Shenyang Public Security Bureau
Address: No.47 Beilingdajie, Huanggu District, Shenyang
Office hours: Monday to Saturday
Foreign nationals or stateless persons who are willing to abide by China's Constitution and laws and who meet one of the following conditions may be naturalized upon approval of their applications:
- they are near relatives of Chinese nationals;
- they have settled in China; or
- they have other legitimate reasons.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
5 years for foreigners younger than 18 and 10 years for foreigners older than 18.
Documents to Use
- Local applications
- Overseas applications
Form ID922: Application for Naturalisation as a Chinese national for overseas (For persons aged 18 or over)
Form ID923: Application for Naturalisation as a Chinese national for overseas (For persons aged under 18)
Form ID929: Fee Payment Form for Chinese Nationality Overseas Applications
Form ID922A: A Guide for Overseas Applicants Naturalisation as a Chinese national
Form ID874A: A Guide for Applicants Naturalisation as a Chinese national
Form ID927: Processing Form for Chinese Nationality Overseas Applications
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
In China, local Public Security Bureaus will accept applications for citizenship. If applicants are abroad, citizenship applications are handled at Chinese embassies and consular offices. After they are submitted, the Ministry of Public Security will examine and approve or dismiss applications. If approved, it will issue a certificate of citizenship.
- Whether you have a near relative who is a Chinese national with the right of abode in Hong Kong
- Whether you have the right of abode in Hong Kong
- Whether your habitual residence is in Hong Kong
- Whether the principal members of your family (spouse and minor children) are in Hong Kong
- Whether you have a reasonable income to support yourself and your family
- Whether you have paid taxes in accordance with the law
- Whether you are of good character and sound mind
- Whether you have sufficient knowledge of the Chinese language
- Whether you intend to continue to live in Hong Kong in case your naturalisation application is approved
- Whether there are other legitimate reasons to support your application
Need for the Document
The Chinese Nationality Law (CNL) of the People's Republic of China has provided for the acquisition of Chinese nationality by way of naturalisation.
Information which might help
Successful applicants for naturalisation are entitled to the same rights as persons who acquired Chinese nationality at birth.
Foreigners are required by article 8 of the Nationality Law of the PRC to renounce their original nationality on acquiring Chinese citizenship.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.