Wikiprocedure > Chile

Chile - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



If Chilean, you can appeal to the Law 17,344 that lets you change your name once in life. It is a judicial procedure that must be performed under the auspices of a professional lawyer. Once the Court approved its name change, you must enroll in the Registry.

If you are abroad they can perform this procedure, by authorizing a third party to represent Chile in court that bear his cause.

  • Go to one of the offices of the Civil Registry.
  • Request to perform the name change.
  • Submit the required documents.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Authorized copy of the judgment, which must be executed.
  • Valid identity card and in good condition.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Civil Registry Offices and schedules

To view Chilean Civil Registry and Identification location offices, go to this site: and click on the "Offices and Times" tab.

Civil Registry Offices



This modification can be requested only once and does not alter the inscribed affiliation. The main causes, according to the Act are: Enrolled in a ridiculous, laughable or that is especially moral and material impairment surname; have been known for more than five years, for plausible reasons, with a different surname; have a single name or be registered with repeated names.

Moreover, it is reported that the challenge of parenthood, may lead to a change in surname, if their parentage is credited towards another parent and so stated in the judgment, in accordance with the legislation mentioned above.


Renaming in a court of law: $ 1,960

Prices of procedures and documents


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



The legal representative of a minor may apply to the court, for once, rectification or the surname of the same reasons covered by any of the grounds of Law No. 17,344 on changing names and / or surnames.

It is stated that the change of names does not alter the affiliation (legal bond with their parents) the enrollee.

It is important that legal advice from a private attorney or Legal Aid Corporation is requested.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence


Need for the Document[edit]

A person may voluntarily request rectification of their surnames or their paternal or maternal family name through the courts for reasons covered by Law No. 17,344, authorizing the change of names and / or surnames in the cases indicated.

Information which might help[edit]

Foreigners will be identified according to the names that appear on the documents from your home country (passport or identity card). Therefore, in Chile is granted identity cards to foreigners according to name entered in this documentation.

Consequently, any change of names and / or surnames must be made first to the country of origin in accordance with the laws thereof, and then submit the appropriate documentation in Chile (Extranjeria and Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior and Public Security).

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]

Cambio de nombre (Renaming)

Civil Registry and Identification

Civil Registry and Identification

Web sites of the Government of Chile

Chilean Government

Government of Chile

Ministry of Justice


Typically, you may legally change your name to whatever name you'd like. There are some exceptions, though:

  • You can't change your name just to escape debt liability or to hide from criminal liability.
  • You can't change your name in order to commit a crime.
  • You can't change your name with the intention to mislead. This usually involves taking the name of a famous person. Courts typically do not allow this, unless you have a convincing reason that is not related to the famous person or the use of his or her name.
  • You can't choose a confusing name one that includes numerals or punctuation. However, some courts have permitted people to spell out the numbers, for example "Seven" instead of "7".
  • You can't choose a name that would intimidate, offend, or be considered obscene.
  • You can't choose a racial slur.