Wikiprocedure > British Indian Ocean Territory

British Indian Ocean Territory - Police Clearance Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Contact your local police for a copy of the records they hold about you.

Persons resident outside the United Kingdom should write to the Data Processing Officer of the police authority where they last resided in the United Kingdom to obtain the appropriate application form.

Residents of the United Kingdom should apply to their local police station where they may obtain the application form. When completing the application form, the applicable category is Prosecution/Conviction History. The local police (or data protection officer), will submit the application to the National Identification Service and the response to the application will be sent directly to the applicant.


Required Documents

  • Fully completed application form
  • TWO copies of different documents to prove your current address
  • Copy of your passport
  • ONE recent colour passport style photograph (Approximately 45mm x 35mm).
  • Payment

Office Locations & Contacts

British Indian Ocean Territory (British Overseas Territory)

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Worldwide organizations



Applicants are legally entitled to gain access to the information about themselves under Section 21 of the British Data Protection Act, 1984.


The fee is 45 to get the certificate within 10 working days and 80 for a 2 day premium service.


There is no set period of time for which the Police Certificate is considered to be valid. The Police Certificate is only truly accurate on the date of issue. Embassies or High Commissions will usually require you to produce a Police Certificate which has been issued less than six (6) months before your visa interview.

Documents to Use

Application form


Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



The principal point of contact is Overseas Territories Directorate, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, where the BIOT government is based.

Required Information

Ensure all sections are completed in BLOCK CAPITALS and in black ink, original signatures are required throughout. Scanned or facsimile signatures will not be accepted.

A clearly showing passport photo, personal information including expiry date, nationality, machine readable zone, extension pages if applicable and signature.

Official correspondence showing your name and address both dated within the last 6 months. These cannot be hand written and envelopes will not be accepted as sufficient evidence. If these are not in English you will also need to provide a translation which may be hand written.


Need for the Document

This statement will serve to advise the consular office whether or not any criminal conviction is held against the applicant. The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through local police. By law, it can take up to 40 days to receive a response.

The certificate details whether or not the applicant has a criminal record in the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) and is required as part of the visa process by the respective High Commission or Embassy.

Please note that the certificate may also include foreign criminal history information where it has been disclosed to the British Indian Ocean Territory.

Information which might help

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) gives you the right to access recorded information held by public sector organizations.

You should give:

  • your name (not needed if requesting environmental information)
  • a contact address
  • a detailed description of the information you want - eg you might want all information held on a subject, or just a summary

Anyone can request information there are no restrictions on your age, nationality or where you live.

The Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 gives individuals, also known as data subjects, certain rights. It allows you to find out what personal information is held about you on computer and sometimes paper records. This is known as a 'Right of Subject Access'.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

You may need to show a copy of your records to the local police if you move to another country.

Police Certificates can be issued to people who want to emigrate to a number of countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States of America.

External Links



Please ensure that you apply the correct postage to your envelope otherwise your application form may not be delivered to the police. Documents sent to the incorrect address for the service required may delay your application.