Botswana - Tax Registration (Individual)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply In Person
- To apply for Tax registration as an individual in Botswana, you should submit your application to the Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS). Please view the BURS contact details via this link:Link
- Obtain the application BURS 1 from the BURS office or download it from the BURS website:Link (APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION AS AN INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER _BURS 1A)
- Complete the application form accordingly
- Prepare all the required supporting documents as stated in the “Required Documents” section below and attach them to the application form
- Go to the BURS office in the locality and submit the complete application to the officer at the registration service section
- The officer will verify your application if it is correctly complete and then forward it for processing
- The application will then be processed and you will be registered for taxation with BURS and you will be issued your unique tax identification number
- To apply for Individual tax registration online, you have to visit the Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) website to submit your application
- Visit the BURS website: Link and open the “eService” hyperlink under the information bar then select “eTax” to go to the login page
- If you already have an account with the BURS, enter your Username and Password to login and if you don’t have an account click on the “Register” button to be directed to the user registration page
- Read the terms and condition of the BURS eService and under “Select Tax Payer Type” open the drop-box next to “Register As” and select if you are registering as an Individual citizen or Individual non-citizen
- Upon selecting the taxpayer type, accept the BURS terms and conditions by clicking inside the checkbox and then click on the “Continue” button to go to the verification questions page
- Enter the required details on the verification page i.e. Nationality, Date of birth, Identification type, Number, and the Security code
- You will be prompted to send copies of your identification document and a copy of the e-service application form to BURS for e-filing through this email address: [email protected] or you can submit the required details in person to any BURS office
- Obtain the e-service application form from any BURS office or download it through the BURS website:Link (APPLICATION FOR E-Services FORM)
- Complete the form and attach a copy of your identification document then submit the form to BURS through their email address in step 7 above or personally to any BURS office
- The application will be processed within one week and you will be issued your BURS login credentials
- Proceed and login to your BURS e-service account
- Once in your account proceed and complete the online registration form for individual tax registration and submit your application
- The application will be processed and you will be registered with the BURS and you will be issued a unique Tax Identification Number
- Complete application form
- For employment cases, a copy of Omang or Identity Document, residence permit, and work permit should be enclosed.
- For an individual doing some business, a copy of Form RBN A should also be submitted.
Office Locations & Contacts
Botswana Unified Revenue Services (BURS)
Plot 53976, Kudumatse Drive
Private Bag 0013
Tel: 363 8000 / 363 9000Fax: 363 9999 / 395 3101
Contact details: Link
- Citizens and residents of Botswana who have an income tax are eligible to apply
- Contact the relevant officials for fees details
- The tax registration is valid forever
Documents to Use
- Link (APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION AS AN INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER _BURS 1A)
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Any person earning a taxable income should accordingly register with BURS so that the income can be assessed and taxed on submission of the tax return. 2011 tax Amendments makes it compulsory for all persons with taxable income above P36000 per annum to register and file a return even if the only source of income is employment which has been taxed at source through PAYE.
- Applicant details
- Next of Kin or Guardian details
- Business information
- Details of representative
- Bank account details
Need for the Document
- Tax registration proves that you are registered to pay your taxes with the BURS as required by Botswana law
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- BURS: Link
More information which might help people.