Botswana - Apply for National Identity Card (OMANG)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applications for a National Identity Cards can be done at any Civil and National Registration office in Botswana.
- Omang forms are issued during the application process for security reasons.
- Fill in the application form.
- Submit the form along with all the required documents and pay the application fee.
- National Identity Cards are only released to the person who applied for the said card. You may have another person collect your ID if there is a convincing reason to do so and you need authorize that person, in writing, to collect the ID on your behalf. That person must also also sign the proxy form.
- Birth Certificate
- In the absence of Birth certificate, please provide the following
- Affidavit in lieu of a Birth Certificate
- Affidavit from the Chief or Headman.
- Any other proof of records (e.g. school transcripts).
- If naturalized,
- Bring the citizenship registration certificate.
- In case of replacements, the old card should be surrendered to the Civil and National Registration Officer.
Note: The District Registrar may require additional documents.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Department of Civil and National Registration
- Tel 361 1100/ 1445
- Toll Free 0800 600 777
Ministry of Labour & Home Affairs (MLHA)
Block 8, Government Enclave, Khama Crescent
Private Bag 002
Fax: (+267) 3907426
Email: [email protected]
- For citizens of Botswana, aged 16 and above.
- The first issue of national identity card is free of charge.
- A fee of P 5.00 is paid for
- an expired identity cards
- an application due to change of name
- A fee of P 110.00 is paid for
- a lost, destroyed/damaged identity card
The validity of the national identity card is 10 years from the date of issuance.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Gaborone and Surrounding Areas - 8 Days
- Other Regions - 10 Days
- Mobile Registration - 14 Days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
If the applicant is minor, the applicant must be accompanied by the parent(s), or legal guardian.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A National Identity Card is a document issued by the government to citizens of the Republic of Botswana. The law requires that every Motswana above the age of 16 have one. This card is also commonly known as Omang.
Following are procedures on how to apply for a National Identity Card.
Information which might help
It is the mandate of the Ministry of labour and Home Affairs to promote gender equality, provide labour, occupational health and safety, civil registration, migration, citizenship and coordinate graduate internship and vocational training. They are in charge of issuing work and resident permits.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- National Identity Cards:
More information which might help people.