Botswana - Apply for National Identity Card (OMANG)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
How to Apply
Apply In Person
- New applications for National Identity Card (OMANG) are done before 30 days of the applicant’s sixteenth birthday, after this duration, the application is considered as late registration as the case may be for person’s acquiring Botswana citizenship, such late registration applicants will be referred to the Botswana Police Service for cautioning and fining before collecting the Identity.
- For first-time applicants, they should visit the any Regional and District Department of Civil and National Registration offices located across the country to apply. (Please view address details under office and location contact section below).
- Express your interest to the officer in charge/registrar and submit the relevant supporting documents (listed under required documents section below) to be validated.
- If all the necessary documents have been provided, you will be issued with Application form for Registration (1st Schedule) to fill and submit the completed form attached to the supporting document to the registrar to verify if all the necessary information required have been provided.
- Note: Omang forms are issued during the application process because these are security documents.
- After that, the form goes through the following stages: Fingerprints section- The applicant’s fingerprints impressions are taken; Attachment of the passport photos.
- The applicant will then be issued with a waiting card/slip as an acknowledgment by the registrar. You will use the waiting card/slip to collect the national ID
- The form is then forwarded to a centralized production center for processing. Upon successful processing which takes approximately fourteen working days to complete, the Identity cards are returned to the Civil and National Registration offices where the applications were filed and made available to be collected by the applicant against the waiting card/slip.
- Applicants should visit the nearest Botswana mission abroad and express their interest at the front desk.
- Submit the required documents to be validated by the embassy staff and obtain the Omang forms are issued during the application process because these are security documents.
- Note: The requirement list document can be download from the embassy website (if available).
- Along with the completed application form, submit the required documents (listed below), pay the required application fee, and provide fingerprints. At the time of submission, a waiting card/slip as an acknowledgment will be issued to the applicant.
- The application file is then forwarded to Botswana's centralized production center for processing. Upon successful processing, the Identity card is returned to the embassy/consulate where the application was filed to be issued/ collected by the client against the waiting card/slip.
Applicants who want their processed National Identity Card (OMANG) sent to them by post are advised to attach one of the following to their request(s):
- A registered self-addressed envelope with the appropriate stamps (letter recommendée);
- A pre-paid envelope from any recognized courier service provider.
- Please note; Not all embassies offer the post/mail return service (please consult with the embassy)
NOTE: You can file your application via mail, in some embassies, please confirm with your embassy, if they offer this service since not all embassies offer the service.
- Birth Certificate
- In the absence of a Birth certificate, please provide the following
- Affidavit in lieu of a Birth Certificate
- An affidavit from the Chief or Headman.
- Any other proof of records (e.g. school transcripts).
- Proof of change of surname for applications due to change of surname
- One copy of each parents’ identity document (If one or both parents are Batswana, copies of their Omang are required. If one of the parents is a foreigner, a copy of their passport is required.)
- 2 recent black and white passport-sized photographs
- Bring the citizenship registration certificate.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Address: Block 8, Government Enclave, Khama Crescent
Private Bag 002
Telephone: (+267)3611115 / 3611234 / 3611132
Fax: (+267) 3907426
Call Centre Number – 0800 600 777
Department of Civil and National Registration
Address: Block 8, Government Enclave, Khama Crescent
Private Bag 00240
Telephone. (+267) 361 1400
Fax. (+267) 395 9998
Toll-Free Number. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Ministry contact details link: Link
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL & NATIONAL REGISTRATION – OFFICES CONTACT LINK;
For abroad applications, please contact your nearest Botswana Embassy or High Commission to help you.
All Botswana Mission Abroad contact link;
- All citizens of Botswana who are 16 years and above are eligible for this service.
The legal fees are as follows;
- The first issue of a national identity card is free of charge in Botswana.
- Any registration done after that period attracts a fine not exceeding BWP500.00
- A fee of BWP5.00 is payable for renewals, change of surname, and damaged Identity.
- A fee of BWP110.00 is payable for lost and stolen Identity Card.
Note: if the application is filed abroad, the application fee varies from one consulate/embassy to another; please consult with the nearest Botswana mission for more information.
- The validity of the national identity card is 10 years from the date of issuance.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- The time around for processing the application is fourteen (14) working days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Full name of the applicant
- Full names of the applicant parents/guardian
- Place/date of birth
- Home County
- Declaration by the applicant
Need for the Document
- A National Identity Card is a document issued by the government to citizens of the Republic of Botswana. The law requires that every Botswana above the age of 16 have one. This card is also commonly known as Omang.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Other uses of the Omang Card
- Required to access government aid/funding/support
- Required when applying for a passport
- Required when applying for other civil and registration documents i.e birth certificate/death certificate/marriage certificate. etc.
- Required during enrolment to tertiary education
- When applying for employment. etc.
Government procedures portal:Link
More information which might help people.