Wikiprocedure > Bhutan

Bhutan - Obtain a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Import live animals including pet dog or cat :

  • Have your pet examined by a veterinarian: You will need to have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian. Some of the documents that you will need to present when apply for an import permit will be issued by your vet. Your vet will also be able to provide you information on how you can go about bringing your pet abroad.
  • Import Permit: Prior permission must be obtained from Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority (BAFRA) of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests to import any animal.
    Conditions for importing live animals including dogs and cats vary depending on the species of the animals involved. However, all animals entering Bhutan require an import permit, issued by the BAFRA. To obtain an import permit, an application to import your animals must be completed and submitted to the nearest BAFRA office. Your application must include the details of the animals to be imported including the entry point via which the animals would be imported. The animals would be quarantined at the entry point for a minimum period of 15 days except for pet animals (dogs and cats) and day old chicks which would be quarantined at the place of destination.
  • If you are outside Bhutan: You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest Embassy of Bhutan in the country you are currently staying. The office may be able to help you process your request to obtain a pet passport or import permit for your pet.
  • Before you make arrangements to transport your pet: Make sure that you have all the required documents, and got in touch with the authority responsible with the import/export of live animals in the country where your pet will be coming from and in Bhutan. If you are thinking of flying in with your pet, you may also try and contact the airline company, they may be able to provide additional information about pet passports and how you can bring your pet abroad.


Required Documents[edit]

Import Permit (BAFRA):

  • Completed application to obtain a permit
  • Health certificate

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority,
Ministry of Agriculture and Forests
Post Box: 1071, Thimphu, Bhutan,
Tel: +975-02-327031/325790
Fax: +975-02-327032/335540

Royal Bhutanese Embassies abroad


Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Import permit (BAFRA):

  • If the import is for commercial purpose, a permit fee of Nu. 100/- per permit is charged.
  • If the import is for personal use/consumption, a fee of Nu. 10/- is charged per permit issued.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority (BAFRA)

Animal of any species and their products including foods of animal origin are restricted from entry into Bhutan by its laws. With this the government can ensure that the biosecurity risk to Bhutans agricultural industries and unique environment is minimized.

Prior permission must be obtained from Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority (BAFRA) of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests to import any animal or their products including food of animal origin.

Upon arrival at the entry point, the importer must declare these imported animal or their products to the Regulatory and Quarantine Officials of BAFRA on duty along with relevant documents who would check and determine whether they can be allowed into Bhutan.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.

Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure.
e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?  

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority (BAFRA)


More information which might help people.