Wikiprocedure > Anguilla

Anguilla - Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


A Single Status Affidavit also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

Foreigners must apply for official permission from the Anguillan government to marry a citizen of Anguilla. You must demonstrate to Anguillan officials that they are not currently married to anyone else - either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized - that your identity is proven, and that you have never committed any crimes in Anguilla. This is done by providing various documents including an Affidavit of Single Status to the Anguillan government either in Anguilla or via an Anguillan embassy.

It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the Anguilla. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • Passport or birth certificate and photo drivers license
  • Proof of divorce or death certificate if applicable
  • Proof of residency in respective country
  • Two witnesses present at the ceremony

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Registry Births Death Marriages
The Court House Bldg
P.O Box 60
The Valley
Vital Records
Find a British Consulate near you

Ads by Google


Confirmatory letter on current status to be obtained from marriage Registry where the applicant resides or statutory declaration signed by a Justice of Peace or Notary Public or Solicitor to prove single status. This declaration only applies to applicants who were previously married, and to confirm current marital status if divorce has been granted in the last 5 years.


All certificates are available at a cost of $20.00 EC or $8.00 US.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

The waiting period is 2 days.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


Certificates are easily obtainable from the Court House Building in the Valley. All certificates are available at a cost of $20.00 EC or $8.00 US.

Persons wishing to obtain certificates from overseas can do so by writing to the address below. Payment should be in the form of an international Bank Draft of Money Order made payable to the Government of Anguilla.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.

Information which might help[edit]

These certificates vary in the length of time they are valid for, which can sometimes only be a few months. Certain countries require that certificates be no older than 2 or 3 months at the time of your wedding. Therefore, it is important to check the requirements which apply to your circumstances and pay particular attention to timelines when you apply for a Certificate of No Impediment.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

A Certificate of No Impediment is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record, Record of No Record, a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume.

External Links[edit]

Government of Anguilla

Ads by Google


Please also be aware that a standard Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.