India - Obtain Legal Heir Certificate (Succession Certificate)
If the head or a member of the family passes away, the next direct legal heir of the deceased such as the wife or husband or son or daughter or mother may apply for Succession Certificate on application for the purpose of transferring Electricity connection, House Tax, Telephone connection/patta transfer, Bank Account, Filing of IT Returns, etc. If the person who died is a Government servant, legal heir certificate is issued for sanction of family pension, and for getting appointment on compassionate grounds. Legal Heir is also provided for various other reasons as-well.
Note : Legal heir certificate and succession certificate are totally different.Legal Heir certificate is issued by Tehsildar of district and succession certificate is issued by court.So don't be confused.
Wife or Husband or Son or Daughter or Mother may apply for legal heir-ship certificate
Ads by Google
- A legal heir certificate is issued by the District Thasildar office for those individuals whose parent/husband is dead without leaving a will.
- To establish relationship for claims relating to Insurance, pension, retirement benefits or service benefits of central and state government departments, Government undertakings etc.
- To get employments for example compassionate appointments.
- Approach the District Thasildar office with the death certificate and produce the form.
- All required documents to be submit while lodging the application.
- It will take around a month to process all the necessary information and receive the certificate.
- Deceased name
- Family member Names and Relationship
- Applicant Signature
- Date of Application
- Residential Address
- You can obtain a Legal Heir through your Taluk / Thasildhar or through the District Civil Court of your area.
- The best approach would be to get in touch with the Taluk / Thasildhar office of your area they should be able to provide you with the certificate or in some cases you might be asked to contact a lawyer in District Civil Court to get it done.
- Based on the report of the Village Administrative Officer and Revenue Inspector and after due enquiry, this certificate is issued by the Concerned Authority mentioning the names of all legal heirs of the deceased.
Ads by Google
- Death certificate
- Identity Card
- Ration card
- Prescribed application form
Stamp of Re.2/-
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Taluk / Thasildhar Office or through the District Civil Court of your area.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Legal Heir Certificate can be used to establish relationship for claims relating to Insurance, pension, retirement benefits or service benefits of central and state government departments, Government undertakings etc. It is also useful for filing IT Return and claim refunds of the deceased person.
India.gov.in - Obtain Legal Heirship Certificate: Tamil Nadu http://www.indiamike.com/india/india-expat-area-f84/getting-a-single-status-certificate-bangalore-t67445/
Form Details for: Application for Legal Heir Certificate http://india.gov.in/forms20.php?id=8564&statename1=Orissa&title=Application%20for%20Legal%20Heir%20Certificate&download=1&cs_r=&mod=fo
IndiaStudyChannel.com – How to get a legal Heirship certificate http://www.indiastudychannel.com/experts/13637-How-get-legalheirship-certificate.aspx
More information which might help people.