Germany - Replace your Driver’s License
In many European countries, driving licences are used and recognized as a secure form of ID. In order to function as such, the document data must be up to date. This is the reason why German driving licences are now to be replaced with a new licence after a period of 15 years. Once the validity period has expired, the applicant will be required to submit a new, up-to-date photo.
- After expiring
- Losing your driver's license, or worse yet having it stolen, creates a myriad of problems, but it does happen. You are supposed to get it replaced.
Ads by Google
- When old driving licences are replaced (possible up to January 2033) or after a new driving licence has expired, the driving permit changes on an administrative level only.
- Existing rights to drive various vehicle classes remain valid.
- Name of the applicant.
- Applicant’s home address
- Passport/Identification Card Number.
- Reason for renewal.
- Police confirmation incase of stolen or lost driver’s licence stating the circumstances leading to the need of its renewal.
- Obtain the police report,
- Apply to the Federal Motor Transport Authority, or to the competent department of your local authority in Germany for renewal.
- Fill application form and provide necessary documents.
- Pay any fee charged
Ads by Google
- Photocopy of your driving licence.
- ID card/passport
- Passport-sized photos
- Proof that you had a valid German driver's license.
- Police report
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
After a period of 15 years.
Information and application forms are available at:
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Phone: +49 461 316-0
Fax: +49 461 316-1650/1495
Phone: +49 351 47385-0
Fax: +49 351 4738536
Postfach 12 01 53
Ads by Google
Driving school Madrid. Driving licence Spain
Living in Germany: Driving Part One
Driving Licence Renewal
Regular medical checks or other tests will not be required except – like now – for professions with special responsibility (e.g. professional drivers.
Please note that driving or riding a motor vehicle without holding a driving licence is prohibited and constitutes a criminal offence!
Recognized as a secure form of ID.
http://www.adac.de (enter "Führerschein- Übersetzung" into search bar for info on license translation)
http://www.fahrerlaubnisrecht.de (a complete legal guide on all issues related to driving licences in Germany)
For up-to-date information on driving in Germany, read Expatica article Driving and parking in Germany (updated 18 May 2011)
For just a small additional fee, the driving licence can be delivered to the applicant's home address if this convenient service is requested when applying for a licence.