Egypt - Apply for De-registration of Motor Vehicle
All vehicle title holders in Egypt are required by law to register their vehicles when they finance the sale of the vehicle or buy a vehicle without external financing. The owner, as the person who will enjoy the use of the vehicle, will license the vehicle.
This is aimed at improving security and improve on road safety, it is a measure to fight motor vehicle related crime.
Cancelling a vehicle's registration is a serious step.
Cancelling the registration of a motor vehicle means that it is removed from the Motor Vehicle Register and the registration plates are returned to an Egypt Transport Agency agent. When the registration of a motor vehicle is cancelled it is often referred to as being de-registered or lapsed.
Motor Vehicle De registration is applied on the following grounds;
- when the vehicle is permanently unfit for use,
- permanently demolished, or exempted from registration.
- may be at the request of the vehicle's registered person or an insurance company.
- destroyed or becomes permanently useless
- permanently removed from Egypt by the owner.
- written off by an insurer
- significantly modified.
To be eligible you must be owning a Vehicle in Egypt and circumstances force you to cancel the registration of that vehicle
Ads by Google
- The owner of the Vehicle has to inform the the inspector of Vehicle Offices in Egypt by law in writing.
- A Compulsory cancellation due to write off by the insurance company, insurance is required before the Government agency to write off the vehicle if it is unfit on the Public Egyptian roads.
- The insurance is supposed to permanently remove the vehicle from Egypt public Roads if found to be unfit.
- An inspection report which details the specifics of the vehicle and the corresponding emission test done to check the vehicle is not in a good condition before it is permanently removed from use on the public roads of Egypt.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- The Customs Value (CIF Value)
- The Engine Size
- The date of Manufacturing the Car
- Registration certificate or card
You should be certain that the motor vehicle will not be returning to the road. If you cancel the registration and then want to use the motor vehicle on the road again at some point in the future, you will need to re-register the motor vehicle with new registration plates.
- To apply to cancel your registration follow the steps below
- Complete an Application to cancel registration of a motor vehicle form (form MVA 02).
- Present your form and your vehicle's registration plates with suitable identification to one of the approved agents in Egypt.
- If your vehicle is subject to road user charges, you need to present the last odometer reading.
- If you have any unpaid road user charges you'll need to pay them. You'll also have to pay backdated fees if your vehicle must be continuously licensed, and the licence or exemption has already expired when you apply to cancel the registration.
- You'll have to pay the licence fees owing between the date the licence or exemption expired and your application.
- Be very sure you no longer wish to use your vehicle on the road. Re-registration is an involved process that incurs fees.
The Egyptian Customs Authorities offices in Egypt will cancel your vehicle's registration if your vehicle must be continuously licensed and you leave it unlicensed for 12 months. If the Egyptian Customs Authorities cancel your registration you'll still have to pay any outstanding licence fees. They may refer outstanding licence fees to a debt collection agency.
If your vehicle isn't required to be continuously licensed, They will cancel the registration after two years.
To De-register a vehicle,
- Go to your nearest registering authority and submit the following:
- Application for De-Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicle.
- Your identity document.
- The manufacturer's certificate containing all of the relevant details of the vehicle.
- A roadworthy certificate.
- Certified copy of your identity document
- Certified copy of proof of ownership of the motor vehicle (titleholder)
- Supporting documentation if required.
- The vehicle’s registration certificate.
- Complete form ADV (Application for de-registration of vehicle).
- You are not entitled to cancel the registration if
- the vehicle has been stolen and not recovered
- you are not the person registered in respect of the vehicle
- the plates were lost or stolen
- you are only wanting to replace the registration or personalized plates
- you have found the plates and are only handing them in
- you have sold the vehicle and the purchaser has failed to notify the /Egyptian Customs Authorities offices in Egypt of the acquisition of the vehicle.
- you are temporarily taking the vehicle off the road.
- Ensure the registration plates are removed from the motor vehicle so these can be returned with your application.
- If the plates are not returned then you may not be entitled to a refund of licensing fees.
- You need to complete and submit the Application for cancellation of Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicle form, along with the required documents, to your nearest motor vehicle registering authority.
- There is a cost to de-register the vehicle and be issued with a receipt of proof of payment.
- Take your application and the registration plates to Egyptian Customs Authorities offices in Egypt registration agent for processing.
- If the licence for the motor vehicle has already expired you will be required to pay licence fees from the date the licence expired up to the date of cancellation.
- If you are unable to pay these at the time, the Egyptian Tax Authorities offices in Egypt will post a payment demand to you for these fees shortly after cancellation
Once your application has been processed the Egyptian Customs Authorities will be updated and the registration cancelled. Refunds of any unused portion of a licence are required to be approved by the Egyptian Customs Authorities offices in Egypt and cannot be issued by the Egyptian Customs Authorities offices in Egypt registration agent.
Ads by Google
A completed Application for Deregistration of Vehicle (ADV) form, A completed Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR1A) form, Supporting documentation, such as an affidavit that the vehicle has been stolen or is unfit for use, A clear copy of your ID, And the sum of any outstanding fines.
- Vehicle details (date of first registration, make, model etc)
- Registered keeper
- Vehicle insurance details
- Inspection results
- Any vehicle modifications
- Payment Details
- Licence Status
The service is free but penalties and arrears may be charged if the application is late.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process takes between 3-6 months.
- Egyptian National Road Safety Board
- Central Traffic Department
Address: El Nasr Rd. Nasr City, Cairo
Landmark: Beside Rabaa El Adaweya Mosque
Phone Number: 02-24027855, 02-24027646, 02-24021233
Work hours: Daily from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, except Thursdays until 2.00 pm.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other information which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.