Countries > Cyprus

Cyprus - Apply for a Non-marriage Certificate / Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



A Single Status Certificate also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

Some overseas countries would require a "Non-marriage Certificate" to be submitted before a citizen of Cyprus is allowed to be married abroad. This document states that the applicant is single and has the capacity to enter into marriage.

Following are procedures on how to apply for a non-marriage certificate.


For citizens of Cyprus.

In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.

The non-marriage certificate is issued by the Civil Registry and Migration Department by submitting the following documents and payment of the relevant fee. For the submission of the application and the issuance of the above mentioned certificate it is necessary that applicants appear personally in Civil Registry and Migration Department. Cypriots who live abroad should apply through the Embassies/Consulates of the Republic of Cyprus.

Ads by Google


Copy of Affidavit that clearly describes the applicant’s marital status (single/ divorced/widowed) and the name of the person that the applicant intends to get married to. In case of divorce or widowhood it must be stated that the applicant has not been married since the divorce/death of his/her spouse.

The affidavit is valid only for 1 month from its date of issue. The original document should be submitted to the Civil Weddings Registry with the application form in order to get the relevant non-marriage certificate.

Proof of Single Status: Couples will need to provide evidence they are single before they are illegible to marry. Cyprus is a Commonwealth country and as such the British High commission is unable to accept Notices of Marriage or issue couples wishing to marry in Cyprus with Certificates of Non-impediment.

You may be able to offer proof by providing the Cypriot authorities with a Certificate of Celibacy which can be done in the UK or you may be requested to make a sworn declaration before the Registrar of the District Court in Cyprus that you are single and have never been married before.

For further details contact the marriage officer of the Municipality at which you both intend to marry.

Required Information

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses


It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the Cyprus. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrar’s account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

In order to receive the above mentioned certificate it is necessary that both applicants appear personally at the Civil Registry and Migration Department and submit the relevant application and original affidavit.

In case of divorced or widowed persons the relevant documents (finalized divorce papers or death certificate of spouse) should be presented.

The Non-marriage certificate is valid for 2 months from the date of issue.

For further information you may visit the website of the Civil Registry and Migration Department at

  1. To apply for the procedure, applicants must appear personally at the Civil Registry and Migration Department or in the case of Cypriots abroad to the Embassy/Consulate.
  2. Fill in and submit the application form along with all the required documents.

Ads by Google

Required Documents


  • Completed application form signed by the applicant.
  • Passport or civil identity card.
  • Affidavit that clearly describes his marital status (single/divorced/widow). In case of divorce or widowhood must be stated that the applicant has not been married since the divorce/death of his spouse. The Affidavit should also state the name of the person with whom he intends to get married.
  • In case of divorce:
    • a final divorce document from the Family Court, after spending 42 days from the issue or
    • religious divorce document from the Holy Archbishopric of Cyprus if it was before 1990
  • In the event of widowhood, death certificate of his spouse by District Administration.


  • Application Fee for examination of the above mentioned application and issuance of relevant certificate: €34.17


The Non-marriage certificate is valid for 2 months from the date of issue.

Documents to Use

Affidavit for Civil Marriage.doc (File Size: 22,44Kb)

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Please explain the processing your application.    

Office Locations & Contacts

Civil Registry and Migration Department
1457 Nicosia
Tel: 22804400, 22804511, 22804425
Fax: 22804534
Contact Civil Registry and Migration Department

Nicosia Town Hall:
Tel: +357-22-797000,
Fax: +357-22-663363

Limassol Town Hall:
Tel: +357-25-884300,
Fax: +357-25-365497

Larnaca Town Hall:
Tel: +357-24-653333,
Fax: +357-24-653384

Ayia Napa Town Hall:
Tel: +357-23-816300,
Fax: +357-23-722607

Paphos Town Hall:
Tel: +357-26-822270,
Fax: +357-26-934762

Cyprus Diplomatic Missions Abroad

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

If you plan to get married in Cyprus, national authorities may request a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, attesting that you are single and free to marry, issued by an official in the United States and certified by an apostille. The United States, at the federal level, and many individual states do not issue this type of certificate. National Cypriot authorities will not accept an affidavit in which the participants attest that they are free to marry. U.S. citizens facing this issue should contact the U.S. Embassy in Nicosia, for further assistance.

Single Statutory Declaration (also known as Affidavits) based on the Statutory Declarations Act. 1835, prepared, dated, stamped (containing the word solicitor) and signed by a Registered Solicitor(or a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public in the UK) on their letter headed paper stating that you are both single and free to marry. They must be prepared for each one (Bride & Groom) containing your full name, address, nationality, passport number, profession, religion and marital status. Due to the fact that this Declaration is valid for 3 months only, it is advisable to obtain it some weeks before your Wedding date so is still valid during your stay and marriage in Cyprus.

In case you are under 18 years old, a parental consent must be incorporated in the Declaration.

For residents of Scotland or Wales the above Declaration can be replaced by a Certificate of No Impediment which you can obtain from the Registry Office. This is valid only for 3 months so you must make sure that you obtained it less than 3 months prior your Wedding Day.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

External Links

  • Civil Registry and Migration Department of Cyprus:

Civil Registry Section

Republic of Cyprus, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Government of Cyprus


Through a sworn affidavit the applicant confirms that they are who they claim to be. The Single Status Letter or Affidavit says that they are able and free to marry among other things. Bear in mind that one fact about the Single Status Affidavit is that it is not a government document; rather, it is a letter from the affiant signed in front of a notary public. An interesting fact about this type of document is that there are many names given for it. For example look at this list: "Single Status Statutory Declaration" or a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or a "Single Status Certificate" or "Free-to-marry statement".

Separate Single Status Statutory Declaration for bride and groom confirming that both parties are free to marry. This should include name, address, nationality, religion, passport number and occupation. It should also state whether you are single, divorced, or widowed, that you intend to marry in Cyprus, and it should be signed and stamped by a solicitor, stating 'solicitor' on document. It should be dated no more than 3 months before the wedding.

Personal tools