Burundi - Obtain a Biometric Laissez-passer
A Laissez passer is a travel document or identity document issued by a government or international treaty organization to facilitate the movement of individuals or small groups of persons across international boundaries. A laissez-passer is often for one-way travel to the issuing country for humanitarian reasons only such as Restoring Family Links. Some national governments issue laissez-passers to their own nationals as emergency passports.
Burundi introduced a biometric laissez-passer . The purpose of this laissez-passer, which is valid for one year, is to allow individuals who did not have the means to obtain a biometric passport to still be able to leave Burundi and travel abroad. The laissez-passer allows Burundians to leave Burundi only to travel to countries that are members of the East African Community [Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda] Only.
Following are procedures on how to apply for a Laissez-Passer.
It can be requested by any Burundian citizens who have permanent residence in the country.
Ads by Google
You must appear in person
Letter to Consul General explaining the reasons why you do not have a travel document - when, how and where it was .
- Copy of the report of the police report. If he does not extend a report request an assigned case number, name and telephone number of the officer.
- Identity card
- Photocopy of valid identity card on both sides. In case of a minor must present a birth certificate.
- 2 colored photos, passport size.
- Consular stamps.
- Applicants must go to the Consulate who has jurisdiction in the area.
- Fill in the application form and submit along with all other required documents to the Consulate.
- The Consulate will send your request to Burundi for approval by the General Directorate of Immigration.
Ads by Google
- National identity card (valid and in good condition)
- Paying rights
- Certificate of validity of the permanent residence granted by immigration
- identity card for foreign force and in good condition
- Proof of address issued by police confirming that you are a good citizen.
The fees for a laissez-passer in lieu of biometric passport is 30,000 BIF.
It is valid for 12 months.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The Burundian Ministry of Public Security is responsible for laissez-passer issuing and can be obtained in two days.
Minister of Interior and Public Security
Mr. Salvator NTACOBAMAZE
Interior ministers office:
Rue de ici 75, Bujumbura, Burundi. BP 05
Tel: +257 7812 2121
Fax: +257 78 12 1111
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.