Burundi - Apply for international driving permit
An International Driving Permit is a document recognized by many countries which allows the permit-holder to drive a private motor vehicle in that country. To be valid the IDP must be accompanied by a valid license from the home country. The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of the permit-holder's normal driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. In most countries however, short term visitors do not need to posess an IDP since the licence of the home country is recognized and permits one to drive in the host country. The foreigner who have a full driving permit from United kingdom may drive in Burundi for a period of six months on arrival in Burundi.After the six months they are required to obtain a Burundi driving permit.
All holders of a valid Burundian Driver's License which is not less than one year before expiration.
Ads by Google
Automobile and Drivers Club Burundi is the only party in Burundi that issue international driving licenses recognized where it is international representative of the International Federation of Automobile and Touring in Burundi.
- Date/country/town of birth
- Email address
- Burundi Driver’s licence number
- Burundi driver’s Licence issuing authority
- Vehicle type
- Date of departure
1.) Go to the traffic administration officer in Burundi
2.) Tell that you wish to get an international driver license. You'll need to present your ordinary Driver's License from your country of origin before they issue you a slip which you will be needing when you go to the Trafic administration in downtown Bujumbura. Your driving license must be valid for at least a year before you will be granted that slip of paper, if not you'll have to renew first you license.
3.) Go to Automobile and Touring Club of Burundi . Fill up form and present all necessary requirements.
Ads by Google
1.Actual and a photocopy of your Burundi Driver License and a Valid Id.
2.) ID Picture
3.) Approval Slip from the traffic administration
- Fees required is $39.9 for One year.
- Fees required is $54.9 for two years
- Fees Required is $69.9 for Three years
- Handling fees $35
The international license is valid for one to three years.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
processing takes 30 days
The Burundi Revenue Authority (Office Burundais des Recettes, OBR)
B.P 3465 Bujumbura 11 burundi
Ministry of Transport, Post and Communications
Rohero, Boulevard Patrice Lumumba,
Immeuble de la Régie Nationale des
Postes, 2ème Etage,
BP: 2000 Burundi
Telephone No.: +257 22253570 / 22 253571,
Fax: +257 22226900
Agence des Promotions des Investissements (the Investment Promotion Agency or API)
Boulevard du 28 Novembre Mutanga Nord, Immeuble Asharif
B.P. 7057 Bujumbura; Burundi
Telephone No.: (+257) 222 75 996
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Its easy to get a driving license in Burundi, and consequently the standard of driving is poor and results in many serious accidents
- Great care should be taken at all times but especially at night because many vehicles do not have lights. Keep car doors locked and windows closed when driving.
- Roads are average within Bujumbura, though some have large potholes but the main National Routes are in quite good condition.Other roads away from Bujumbura will be in poor condition and many roads are only passable with a 4WD in the rainy season
- Fuel is generally imported from Kenya and Tanzania and is consequently quite expensive- this may be something to take into account when planning your trip.
- The standard of driving and roads is poor and there are many serious accidents. Take great care at all times, especially at night as many vehicles do not use lights.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
if you are a visitors or long term residents you should register with the Embassy