Burundi - Apply for Replacement of a lost or stolen Passport
The Burundian passport is issued to citizens of the country for purposes of international travel. It authorizes the holder to travel from Burundi to any other country provided the person meets requirements of the other country. Burundi passports are issued by Ministry of the Interior (ministère de l'Intérieur) through the police responsible for airspace surveillance, border control and registration of foreigners (police de l'air, des frontiers et des étrangers, PAFE).
A citizen of Burundi whose passport (still valid) is misplaced / lost.
Ads by Google
- An applicant must prove that his passport is lost;
- The missing passport must still be valid;
- Application should be submitted in person;
- Police must be informed about missing passport immediately;
- Full name of applicant
- Physical and contact address of applicant
- Particulars of lost passport (passport number, when it was issued, file number and expiry date)
- Sex, Age and marital status
1.When a passport is lost, the owner of passport should start by reporting incident to police immediately. At the police station ensure that a police report confirming loss is issued as it is a necessity throughout the process;
2.Thereafter go to the issuing office and find out what is required to obtain a replacement of the lost passport;
3.Then prepare all required documents and write a letter to the Passport office explaining circumstances under which the passport was lost;
4.At the issuing office, obtain an application form for replacement of passport and fill it accurately;
5.After filling form, attach all documents and letter prepared in three (3) above and submit application to the issuing office.
- Applicants in Burundi submit application to the police de l'air, des frontiers et des étrangers, (PAFE) under the Ministry of the Interior (ministère de l'Intérieur) while applicants abroad can submit application to the nearest Burundian embassy a list of these can be obtained from http://www.passportsandvisas.com/embassyconsulate/burundiembassy.asp. Applications submitted to embassies are also forwarded to police de l'air, des frontiers et des étrangers, (PAFE)
6.At police de l'air, des frontiers et des étrangers, (PAFE) applications are assessed and if approved, a replaced of passport is issued to the applicant.
Ads by Google
3.Two passport-size photographs
5.Copy of lost passport (if available)
5,000 Burundian francs (BIF)
Same time -as of the lost passport
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Five (5) to ten (10) working days
Direction Générale de la Police (Air), des Frontiers et des Etrangèrs (PAFE)
Boulevard de l'UPRONA
Boîte Postale 2090
Telephone: (+257) 226266, 223274/5
Fax: (+257) 228529
Bujumbura – Burundi
Burundi Embassies, High commissions or consulate offices in different countries a list of these can be viewed at http://www.passportsandvisas.com/embassyconsulate/burundiembassy.asp
Minister of Interior and Public Security (ministère de l'Intérieur)
Rue de ici 75, Bujumbura, Burundi. BP 05
Telephone: +257 7812 2121
Fax: +257 78 12 1111
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
1.Applicants must note that holding a passport alone does not authorize a person to enter into a foreign country.
- Anyone who wishes to visits a foreign country even with a passport must meet requirements of immigration in that foreign country for instance he / she must meet the visa requirements and any other basing on the country to visit.
- Passports are used as identification documents;
- Passports are used to prove nationality;
- The holder is able to travel from Burundi to a foreign country;
- A obtaining a replacement of passport loosing original means usage of the original in form of fraud is prevented as the original is always cancelled if a replacement is issued;
More information which might help people.