Countries > Bulgaria

Bulgaria - Register as Sole Trader (Sole Proprietorship)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Sole trader (ET) is a legal form of doing business that is suitable for small businesses, where the business does not involve taking on large debts and is not associated with large investments.


The person who is registered as a sole trader / ET / should be legally able – must be over 18 years old and must have Bulgarian permanent resident status. A foreign citizen can register ET only if he has a permanent residence permit in the Republic of Bulgaria issued in accordance with the Law on Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria and its implementing acts.

Ads by Google


The name must contain with no redundancy the first and family or middle name by which the individual is known in the community and should be a national exclusivity.

Required Information

  • Full name
  • Personal identification number


Keeping company name

The name is stored in the Registry Agency with the application of D1 from the sole trader. The company name must be written in Bulgarian. The name is freely chosen by the sole trader, and must not mislead and prejudice public morality. Absolutely everyone can reserve a company name before applying for registration. The application for reservation is entered in the commercial register in order of receipt. With every application must be verified that no other person has any rights over the company, and whether the state due fee is paid. Before completing the application D1 is good to check if the corresponding name is already taken. This can be done on the commercial register website. Reservation is valid for two months from the filing date of the application. During this period, there is no possibility of another sole trader to be entered in the commercial register under the same name. The reserved firm is inalienable and non-transferable. Reservation is valid on the territory of the whole country.

Registration in the Commercial Register

Registration is done in any territorial division of the Registry Agency, where is kept the Commercial Register of the country. Territorial units of the Registry Agency are located on the premises of the district courts. The commercial register is public, ie sole trader / ET / cannot hide his company’s address, name and his personal identification number.


Entry shall be made by the Registry Agency on the basis of a written application form A1, which should be signed personally by the sole trader or his lawyer. The application shall state the name, personal ID-number and other details for the trader.

Examination of applications

Applications for entering in the commercial register (including registration ET) are considered by an official responsible for registration in the Agency in order of their receipt. Denial to register an individual as a sole trader can be appealed in the appropriate District Court within seven days.

Apply Online

The application for Sole Trader (ET) may be done in person in a division of the Registry Agency or electronically through the website of the Agency / the sole trader or his lawyer must have an electronic signature.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • Sample of the signature of the sole trader/ notarized /;
  • If the object of the activity is subject to a special regime as a condition of registration, the relevant license, permit, certificate of professional competence or other document;
  • Declaration of sole proprietorship that he is not in bankruptcy, is not deprived of the right to engage in business, and that he did not registered other company as a sole trader.


  • State fee- 50lv for storing the name in the Registry Agency
  • 35lv-fee for registration the Commerce Register


The registration of sole trader (ET) is valid forever.

Documents to Use

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Currently the Sole Trader (ET) is registered in the commercial register after submission of the documents and it may take 1-2 weeks.

Office Locations & Contacts

The contact information of the Registry Agency and the Commercial register can be found here:

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

After the year 2013 ET is considered obsolete and impractical form of doing business in Bulgaria. Registering a Single Person Limited Liability Company is much more appropriate and practical option.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links


More information which might help people.
Personal tools