Bulgaria - Register a Trademark
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
In order a mark to be registered as a trademark must be filed an application for registration to the relevant competent authority. For the Republic of Bulgaria, such competent authority is the Bulgarian Patent Office. For registration of European Trademark must be applied for registration at the Office for Harmonization of the Internal Market. For international registration of marks must be applied for trademark registration to the World Intellectual Property Organization through the Patent Office.
The procedure goes through several stages:
- Application for a trademark that gives the applicant the right of priority meaning that no longer can anybody else uses the mark and it becomes property of the person who applied for it.
- Formal expertise of the trademark which is usually valid for 1 year
- Technical expertise in Patent office
- Issuance of certificate of the trademark
Bulgarian Patent Office prepares to implement e-filing of trademarks and designs applications in the near future.
- ID of the applicant or registration document if it is a company
- Document for priority right( if you pretend for it)
- Application form
- If the trademark contains any graphics you can submit a copy of it or email it in graphic format.
- Document for paid fee
Office Locations & Contacts
For assistance with a registration of trademark you can call: +359 884 05 94 41
Patent Office of Republic of Bulgaria-contact information:
To be register a certain trademark must not only possess specific characteristics but also it must not be in conflict with the statutory provisions governing the acquisition of a right over the mark. Some grounds for refusal of registration of a trademark are:
- Trade mark which consists exclusively of signs or indications which have become customary in the current language or in the commercial practice in relation to the goods or services
- Trade mark which consists exclusively of signs or indications which are indicative;
- Sign which consists exclusively of the shape of goods
- Trademark which is contrary to public order or morality
- Trademark, which can mislead consumers about the nature, quality or geographical origin of the goods or services;
It may costs between 1000 and 1800lv (including attorneys fee) to register a trademark in Bulgaria.
The right to a trademark is subjective exclusive right that lasts 10 years. After this period must be paid the so called maintenance fee to be continued the existence of the brand for another 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Normally it takes between 6 and 8 months for the Patent Office to issue trademark certificate. Sometimes it may take up to 2 years.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Depending on its territorial reach trademarks can be registered as International trademark, National trademark, Regional (European) trademark. The owner of a trademark acquires the right to offer goods with this trademark for sale or to supply them on the market, or store them for such purposes, or to offer services with that logo.
- Name and address of the applicant/s
- Trademark that will be registered
- List of the goods and/or services that will contain the trademark
Need for the Document
Registration of a trade mark means the acquisition of an exclusive right to a mark which is capable of distinguishing goods or services of one manufacturer or trader from those of another.
Information which might help
Trademarks and service marks may be owned by two or more persons, and their usage is carried out with the consent of all owners.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The owner of a trademark has the right to:
- Import or export goods with this trademark
- Use the logo in trade papers and advertisements
- Print the logo on the goods and their packages
More information which might help people.