Bulgaria - Register Marriage Contracted Abroad
This procedure provides you information on how to register a marriage contracted abroad in Bulgaria.
Citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria residing abroad
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
If you are outside Bulgaria:
- Citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria residing abroad are required to bring or send to the Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission in the relevant country, within six months after a local civil registry authority draws up a civil marriage certificate, a certified copy or excerpt of the document, together with an application indicating their permanent address in Bulgaria.
- A link is provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" which you can use to search for contact information of Bulgarian diplomatic and consular missions abroad.
If you are in Bulgaria:
- If you are in Bulgaria, you may bring the legalised civil marriage certificate directly to the relevant Bulgarian municipality. The municipality where the civil marriage contracted abroad is to be registered shall be the municipality where the permanent address of the spouse who is a Bulgarian citizen is; in case both spouses are Bulgarian citizens, that shall be the municipality where the husband’s permanent address is.
- The civil marriage certificate must be accompanied by a certified translation into Bulgarian made by a Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission or by a translation company wherewith the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria has concluded a contract.
- If your civil marriage certificate was issued in a state wherewith Bulgaria has not concluded a legal assistance treaty explicitly waiving the requirement for legalisation, the document shall be legalised through an apostille certification in accordance with Hague Convention No. 12 or certified through a stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant state, which shall then be certified by the Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission in that country.
- A local civil marriage certificate does not need to be legalised if issued in a state wherewith the Republic of Bulgaria has concluded a legal assistance treaty explicitly waiving the requirement for legalisation.
Ads by Google
- Completed application
- Civil marriage certificate, a certified copy or excerpt of the document.
- If you are submitting your documents directly to the relevant Bulgarian municipality, your civil marriage certificate must be accompanied by a certified translation into Bulgarian made by a Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission or by a translation company wherewith the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria has concluded a contract.
- Signatures of Bulgarian translators are authenticated at the Consular Relations Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the following address: 2 Alfred Nobel Street, Sofia.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Bulgaria
Sofia 1113, Bulgaria
2 Aleksandar Zhendov Str.,
Tel.: +359 2 948 2999
Ministry's Reception Desk
Tel.: +359 2 948 2018
+359 2 971 10 54
Working days: Monday to Friday
from 9.30 to 12.00 h and from 14.00 to 16.00 h
112 - Emergency telephone number in the EU
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.