Bulgaria - Obtain a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet)
This procedure provides you information on how you can bring your pet dogs and cats to Bulgaria and how can you apply for a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet).
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
In Bulgaria, control over the import of live animals is implemented by the National Veterinary Medical Service at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forest.
Border Veterinary Authorities: Under the Veterinary Medical Activities Act, importers of pets, such as dogs, cats, horses, etc., are required to present to the border veterinary authorities:
- An immunisation passport indicating an ID number, a description of the pet, and information about vaccinations and anti-parasite treatment, issued by a licensed vet in the country of origin;
- A medical certificate for the pet indicating its origin and health status, which has been issued by a governmental or another authorized veterinary doctor, and which verifies that:
- the pet has undergone a check no more than 24 hours before the date of its export and the check has not shown any clinical symptoms of a disease;
- if over three months old, the pet has received a rabies shot with an inactivated vaccine containing no less than 1 UI, measured by applying the activation method described in the existing European pharmacopoeia, no less than 30 days and no more than 12 months prior to the date of export, and that the certificate bears an indication of the vaccine’s brand name and serial number;
- in the place of the pet’s residence there have been no cases of rabies registered in the last six months;
- since the day of its birth, the pet has been kept indoors and has been raised at the place where it was born (only applicable to pets under three months).
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Importing your pets:
- Have your pet examined by a veterinarian: You will need to have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian. Some of the documents that you will need to present when your pet arrives in Bulgaria will be issued by your vet. Your vet will also be able to provide you information on how you can go about bringing your pet abroad.
- If you are outside Bulgaria: You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest Bulgarian embassy in the country you are currently staying. The office may be able to provide you information about pet passports or import permits for pets.
- Before you make arrangements to transport your pet: Make sure that you have all the required documents, and got in touch with the authority responsible with the import/export of live animals in the country where your pet will be coming from and in Bulgaria. If you are thinking of flying in with your pet, you may also try and contact the airline company, they may be able to provide additional information about pet passports.
- Border Veterinary Authorities: At the border, a mandatory check is performed of the pets’ health, papers, and identity. Should the check establish that the pet’s papers are not valid or that it poses a risk to public health, it may be confiscated.
Ads by Google
- Immunisation passport indicating an ID number, a description of the pet, and information about vaccinations and anti-parasite treatment, issued by a licensed vet in the country of origin.
- Medical certificate for the pet indicating its origin and health status, which has been issued by a governmental or another authorized veterinary doctor.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
National Veterinary Medical Service
Ministry of Agriculture and Forest
Phone: (+359 2) 915 9820
Fax: (+359 2) 954 9593
Border Veterinary Medical Service
Phone: (+359 2) 915 9825
National Customs Agency
Rakovski 47 Sofia 1202 Bulgaria
Department Information and Public Relations
Phone: +3592/9859 4210
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.