Brazil - Apply for Taxpayer Identification / Registry of Individuals (CPF for Residents)
Following are procedures on how to apply for a CPF for residents.
Anyone can request for a CPF but registration is compulsory for some taxpayers.
- No minimum age for enrollment (newborns, for example, can be registered);
- Brazilians abroad or foreigners residing in Brazil may also apply
- Each person can only register once.
Ads by Google
The taxpayer (greater than 16 years), his legal representative, attorney or court may apply for a CPF.
Request to register for individuals under 16 years, should be made by parents, guardians, trustees or those responsible for legally.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Applicant may go to any branch of the Bank of Brazil, Caixa Economica Federal or Postal to register, Monday to Fridays.
- Applicants may also apply online.
- Through Public Entities Conveniadas. The social security number is entered in the ID or a certificate of registration will issued via the internet.
- Or you can also apply through the Brazilian diplomatic representations abroad. Note: registration of deceased persons residing abroad (when in Brazil) should be requested directly to a service unit of the IRS.
Confirmation of Registration
- For request carried out at a contracted or a Brazilian diplomatic representation, you may use the code to track your application via the Internet and obtain the Social Security number .
- When the registration is requested at a branch of the Bank of Brazil, Caixa Economica Federal or Postal, a "Certificate Enrollment CPF" will be delivered to the taxpayer. When you receive it, check the data carefully. If there is any error, please correction. The fix will be free if required within 90 days from the date of the request for enrollment in the unit contracted. Thereafter, there will be new cost to the requestor.
- Proof of registration can be made with the presentation of the document which was inserted as the CPF or the " Proof of Enrollment in CPF "accompanied by identification.
Note:In some cases, you will be asked to attend a service unit of the IRS to complete the registration. The taxpayer will be advised at the time of the request or correspondence sent to his residence. The deadline for attendance is 90 days from the request enrollment in the unit contracted. Failure to appear on time, the request will be canceled.
Ads by Google
Above 16 years
- identification of the person to be registered, certifying birth, parentage and date of birth (eg identification card)
- for Brazilians aged 18 to 69 years: voter registration, protocol registration or any other document showing the voter registration or document of Elections stating the absence of mandatory voter registration or other document proving the non-compulsory enlistment election.
Children under 16 years, tutored, guardianship and other persons under the legal custody
- identification of the person to be registered, certifying birth, parentage and date of birth (eg identity card, birth certificate);
- for Brazilians aged 18 to 69 years: voter registration, protocol registration or any other document showing the voter registration or certificate of Elections stating the absence of mandatory voter registration;
- identification of a parent, guardian, custodian or responsible for the custody by virtue of a judicial decision;
- document establishing guardianship or trusteeship responsibility for custody, as the case of unable or forbidden.
When the registration is requested by an attorney
- Person documents to be recorded in accordance with the items "a" or "b" above;
- identification of the attorney;
- Attorney document proving their CPF;
- public instrument of proxy or private instrument notarized (when issued or have notarized abroad, the instrument must have recognized its validity by Brazilian consular office, unless otherwise provided by statute, international agreement or treaty).
When the request is made in Brazilian diplomatic representation
- In addition to the above documents, as applicable, must also complete and submit the Registration Form for Individuals
- convicts (prisoners) should also submit the request organ prison;
- identification documents presented by foreigners need not hold membership;
- identification documents presented must be valid in the country of residence;
- documents expressed in foreign language must have a certified translation.
Through Bank of Brazil, Caixa Economica Federal or Postal
- Cost: £ 5.70 (maximum amount to be charged to the applicant)
Public Entities Conveniadas
Brazilian diplomatic representations abroad.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Registration Residents in Brazil or abroad:
More information which might help people.