Brazil - Apply for Marriage Certificate (Certidão de Casamento)
Marriage is a legal contract binding two people together, granting them rights and obligations. The Marriage Certificate gives spouses the full communion of life, based on equal rights and duties. The Civil Code prevents married individuals to enter into another marriage, the code follows monogamy, which means a citizen can only have one spouse.
Following are procedures on how to apply for a marriage certificate.
The Marriage Certificate is obtained by the couple themselves.
A citizen under 16 can marry with the permission of both parents or his legal representative, while not reaching the age of majority. The requirement for marriage license must be signed by the couple or, upon request, by an attorney.
Ads by Google
To obtain a marriage certificate, the couple should go to a Civil Registry. The wedding celebration can be made at the offices of notary or public building or private, if the parties wanted to and with the consent of the authority who will be performing the ceremony.
The Marriage Certificate is issued after the wedding celebration.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Couples must go to a Civil Registry and submit the completed application for the marriage license along with all other required documents.
- The Civil Registry official will check if the applicants are qualified to get married. Once the application is approved, the officer will issue a certificate of qualification.
- The date and place of the marriage can now be finalized. The ceremony can be held at the registry office (with at least two witnesses)or with the consent of the authority, the ceremony can take place in a public or private building (four witnesses).
- After the wedding ceremony, the logbook will be signed by the marriage presider, by the spouses, the witnesses and the official record. The Marriage Certificate can now be issued.
Note: Civil registration of religious marriage follows the same procedures required for civil marriage. Must be done within 90 days from its realization and communicated to the competent office.
Ads by Google
- Birth certificate or equivalent document;
- if applicable, written consent of the persons under whose legal dependence are parties or judicial act which may replace it;
- declaration of two witnesses, relatives or not, claiming to know the couple and there is no impediment to the marriage;
- declaration of marital status, residence and current residence of the bride and groom and their parents, if known, and
- if applicable, death certificate of spouse, declaratory judgment of nullity or annulment of marriage or divorce decree.
Fees are charged to process the wedding. (The issuance of Certificate of Marriage will be done after the wedding celebration)
The Civil Code provides that in the case of people whose poverty is declared, the entitlement to the marriage registration certificate and the first issuance of the certificate will be free of charge.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Secretaria de Direitos Humanos da Presidência da República (SDH/PR)
Brasília, Brazil Map
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Civil Code:
- Marriage Certificate:
More information which might help people.