Brazil - Apply for Driver License (Carteira Nacional de Habilitação)
A driver's license is a legal document issued by the state. It expresses a persons capability to operate a motorized vehicle, such as a motorcycle, car, truck or a bus, on a public roadway. To obtain a permanent driving license, it is necessary to pass the practical examination.
The postage is required for those who are driving. The current model of CNH has photograph of the person, the number of identity card (RG) and taxpayer ID (CPF). Thus, CNH can be used to identify nationwide.
Brazilian Traffic Code issues licenses in five categories:
- Category A: for drivers of motor vehicles with two or three wheels, with or without sidecars (motorcycles)
- Category B: for drivers of motor vehicles not covered by Class A, with gross weight less than 3,500 pounds and maximum capacity of eight seats, plus the driver (car)
- Category C: for drivers of motor vehicles used to transport cargo with a gross weight exceeding 3,500 pounds (like trucks)
- Category D: for drivers of motor vehicles used for transporting passengers, with capacity for more than eight seats plus the driver (buses and vans, for example)
- Category E: conductor combination of vehicles where the unit conducted fits in categories B, C or D, whose unit attached or towed has a gross weight of 6000 pounds or more, or having a capacity exceeding eight seats, or even that is framed in category trailer.
Following are procedures on how to apply for a driver's license.
Applicant for categories A and B must be:
- Brazilians over 18 years old
- can read and write,
- have an identity document and CPF.
Ads by Google
Individuals applying for a driver's license can only do so in categories A, B or AB. In latter categories, the person must attend two preparatory courses before proceeding with the application. Holders of license category B can change it to C or D, those who holds category C, can change to categories D or E, and those who hold category D licenses, can apply for a category E license. To apply for admission in categories C, D or E, the driver must hold a license in a certain category for at least one year before applying or adding another category on his/her license (example: for CNH in category C, it is necessary to have at least one year's license in category B)
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- To apply for a driver's license in categories A and B, applicants should look for a unit of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of their respective city.
- Applicants must pay application fees and go through reviews of psychological, physical and mental.
- Aplicants must also take a theoretical course in driving and pass the theoretical exam. Once passed, applicant will then attend driving classes and the practical driving test.
The process must be completed in one year. After that, it is necessary to initiate a new procedure.
Ads by Google
- original and copy of Identity Card (RG)
- original and copy of the Registration of Individuals (CPF)
- original and copy of proof of residence (utility bill, phone, bank or another that contains the name of the person and is recent)
- two 3x4 photos
Fees to obtain a license varies depending on the state.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
The successful candidates will receive the assessments in about five days, they will be given "permissions to drive". The final CNH will be issued one year after, if the driver has not committed any offense of serious or very serious nature during this period. The driver is also not allowed to commit an offense of average nature more than once.
Municipalities Sector South,
Block 1, Block H, 5th Floor CEP 70070-010
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Driver's License:
- Frequently Asked Question:
- Brazilian Traffic Code:
More information which might help people.