Countries > Bouvet island

Bouvet island - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.


You can change your own name, as well as the names of children for which you have parental responsibility if they are less than 18 years of age.

If you are under 18 years of age, the person or people who have parental responsibility for you must consent to the change of name. If the name change concerns a child over 12 years of age, the child must also give his or her consent.

Ads by Google


You can change your first name, middle name and surname. Note that your middle name is not a first name. Names which can be used as a surname may also be taken as a middle name.

When your application is approved, a letter confirming the change of name will be sent to your registered address.

If you are over 18, you will generally not be permitted to take, change or delete a first name or surname more than once every ten years.

Required Information

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence


  • Obtain all necessary documents in applying for the change of name.
  • Submit your application along with all other requirements.
  • Once the new name or surname is accepted, you may proceed in registering your new name.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • Certificate of Criminal Record
  • Request Addressed to the Minister of Justice
  • Application addressed to the Registrar
  • Identity Card (original and photocopy)


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time

It takes about three weeks to process an application for a change of name.

Office Locations & Contacts

Polar Affairs Department
Phone: 22 24 56 01/03
Address: Postboks 8005 Dep, 0030 Oslo
Visitor address: Gullhaug Torg 4 A, Nydalen, 0484 Oslo

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

Bouvet Island is an uninhabited subantarctic volcanic island and dependency of Norway located in the South Atlantic Ocean. Administration of the island is handled by the Polar Affairs Department of the Ministry of Justice and the Police, located in Oslo.

The Polar Affairs Department is the secretariat for the Interministerial Committee on the Polar Regions, which is an important forum for coordination of ministerial affairs concerning the Arctic and the Antarctic.

Tasks involve:

  • active coordination of the work of the central government administration on meeting the Government’s main objectives
  • maintenance of an efficient administrative machinery

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change

External Links

Ministry of Justice and Public Security


Polar Affairs Department


If you have taken, changed or deleted a name, you can still do the following within the next ten years:

  • Take the surname of a spouse or cohabiting partner who you have lived with for at least two years, or who you have children with
  • Take a surname which you have had previously
  • Take the surname of a step-parent, foster parent or adoptive parent
  • Change your first name back to the first name you had before you changed it
  • Take, change or omit a first name or surname if special reasons apply.
Personal tools