Belarus - Register Marriage to a Foreign Citizen
Following is a procedure on how you can register your marriage to a foreign citizen.
You may get married if you are at least 18 years old. The age requirement can be reduced by the civil registry offices no more than for three years in the following circumstances: birth of the child or pregnancy, emancipation.
Ads by Google
Before your marriage is registered the civil registry office of the Republic of Belarus will have to find out if there are any permit that you should have secured from the state of citizenship of the foreigner. If the special permit is required to register a marriage with a foreigner, and a foreign citizen has no such permit, the civil registry office will explain to the applicants, first to the citizen of the republic of Belarus, that their marriage can be nullified in the state of citizenship of the foreigner. If marrying persons insist on the registration of a marriage, the marriage will be registered, and a special mark will be included on the registration records signifying that the marrying persons have been acquainted with the procedure of the registration of a marriage with foreigners required in accordance with the legislation of the state of citizenship of a foreigner.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Marriages are registered publicly, and at the presence of two full age witnesses (if it is requested by marrying persons). The applicants request the civil registry office to provide proper ceremony of the registration of a marriage.
- If both marrying parties cannot be present during registration or is impossible or the extremely inconvenient (remoteness of residing from each other, heavy illness, military service and so forth) at the moment of submission of the application for registration of a marriage, the application signed by both marrying persons, can be submitted by either applicants. In this case the chairperson of the civil registry office or the official of local administrative body shall certify the signature of the absent person on the joint statement and put a seal.
- If the marrying persons can not appear for the registration of a marriage by a specified time, the term of registration of a marriage is postponed at their request, and the special mark is done on the application for registration of a marriage and in a registration book for applications.
- If the persons have not appeared for the registration of a marriage within three months from the date of submission of the application and have not informed about the reason of their absence, the application becomes invalid.
Ads by Google
- For foreign citizens who have a permanent residence in the Republic of Belarus:
- application for the registration of a marriage
- valid foreign passport
- residence permit of the Republic of Belarus
- For foreign citizens who have a temporary residence in the Republic of Belarus:
- valid foreign passport or another identification document registered in the law-enforcement body of the Republic of Belarus. The foreign passport (the document identifying the person) shall be submitted by the foreign citizen with translation of its text into a national language (Russian, Belarusian), accuracy of which is testified by consulate (embassy) of the state of citizenship of this person (of the country of permanent residence of the person without citizenship), by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or another competent body of the state or by the notary.
- document, issued by the competent state body or consulate (embassy) of the state of citizenship, which confirms that the foreign citizen is not married with another person. This document can be made in a state language or translation of its text shall be applied. Accuracy of the translation shall be testified by the consulate (embassy) of the state of the citizenship (of the country of permanent residence of the person without citizenship), by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or by another competent body of this state or by the notary.
- Persons who have been already married, should present to the civil registry office the document confirming the termination of a former marriage. As to the citizens of the Republic of Belarus who have dissolved a marriage abroad and to the foreign citizens as well such document can be the court decision on divorce, the certificate on death of the spouse or other document confirming the termination of a former marriage, given by the competent body and legalized unless the international agreements determine another procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The amount of time to process an application for registration varies, but it can not be earlier than in fifteen days after submission of application for registration of a marriage in the civil registry office.
Under reasonable circumstances this term can be reduced or increased up to three months from the moment of acceptance of the application for the registration of a marriage.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus
Address: ul.Lenina, 19, Minsk 220030, Republic of Belarus
Tel. (00375 17) 327 29 22
Fax (00375 17) 210 42 50, 327 45 21
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- National Legal Internet Portal of the Republic of Belarus:
More information which might help people.