Barbados - Register as a Voter
An election is a process that allows eligible members of a community to choose who they would like to hold positions of authority in their community. The election process will give members of the community the chance to decide who will govern at the different levels of governance and in a way gives them an opportunity to make choices about the policies, programs and future directions the Government must take.
A person is entitled to vote as an elector at an election in a constituency if on polling day he/she is qualified to be an elector for that constituency and is on that day registered in the electoral roll.
Following are procedures on how you can register as a voter in Barbados.
You are qualified to be registered as an elector for a constituency if you are:
- a citizen of Barbados; or
- a Commonwealth citizen (other than a citizen of Barbados) who has resided in Barbados for a period of at least 3 years immediately before the qualifying date; and
- eighteen (18) years of age or over; and
- has resided in a constituency for a period of at least 3 months before the qualifying date, or, but for the circumstances entitling you to vote at a Mission, would have been resident at the address at which you were ordinarily resident in that constituency immediately before leaving Barbados.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Register as a Voter
- Go to the designated Registration Center in your constituency.
- Fill out an application form.
- Submit the form along with all other supporting documents to the Registering Officer.
Transferred from one constituency to another
To be able to vote in a constituency you are currently residing following your transfer, you must notify the Chief Registering Officer by completing Form 10, and if the Chief Registering Officer is satisfied that you have completed 3 months ordinary residence in you current constituency, your name will be included in the electoral roll for that constituency.
Change of address within the constituency or change of name
A person whose name appears in any register who has changed his/her address within a constituency or who has changed his name may notify the Chief Registering Officer by completing Form 10 or Form 11, as the case may be. If the Chief Registering Officer is satisfied as to the identity of the applicant and as to the correctness of the particulars contained in the Form, the electoral roll will be modified to include the elector's new name or address.
Ads by Google
- Completed application form
- Identification Card
- Documents that will prove you are qualified to apply as an elector (example: proof of age - birth certificate)
- Documents that will support your application for change of address or name
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Barbados Electoral Department Website:
More information which might help people.