Bahamas - Register a Vehicle
Following is a procedure on how to register a vehicle in The Bahamas for the first time or a vehicle being transferred from one owner to another within the country.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- In order to apply for the procedure, you must complete a Road Traffic Information form.
- Present the motor vehicle, Bill of Sale and/or Customs Information Documentation, a valid Driver’s license and the completed Road Traffic Information Form to the Road Traffic Inspection area of the Road Traffic Department to have the vehicle inspected.
- Once the vehicle has been inspected and the supporting documents verified, you will be issued an Inspection Information Form (Form #1) and the Inspection Certificate of Fitness.
- Take the Bill of Sale, Customs Information Documentation, a valid Driver’s license, completed Road Traffic Information Form, Inspection Vehicle Information Form and Inspection Certificate of Fitness to the vehicle registration counter at the Road Traffic Department.
- Once all relevant information have been verified, your vehicle will be registered and a Vehicle License Disc will be issued to you along with a registration booklet and motor vehicle license plate.
- After you have paid the required fees, the Cashier will issue the valid Vehicle License Disc and Inspection Sticker.
Ads by Google
- Completed Road Traffic Information form: The form is available at the Road Traffic Department
- Supporting Documents:
- Valid Insurance Certificate.
- Bill of Sale and/or Customs Information Documentation.
- Completed Road Traffic Vehicle Information Form.
- Valid Bahamian Driver’s Licence.
- Group A - BS$160.00 – vehicle less than 5,000 lbs
- Group B - BS$560.00 – vehicle between 5,001 lbs and 15,000 lbs
- Group C - BS$760.00 – vehicles over 15,000 lbs
Inspection fee: BS$35.00
Note: The Department may ask you to pay additional fees.
Vehicle and Inspection certificate expire on the last day of the vehicle owner's birth month.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It's possible for The Road Traffic Department to complete the processing of your application for registration within the same day, provided all the required documents are submitted.
Road Traffic Department
Clarence Bain Bldg
P.O. Box N 1615
Tel. (242) 302-3850 / 325-6511 / 325-6519 Fax. (242) 322-8910
Other contact numbers:
All Departments: (242) 325-3323 / (242) 325-3321
Controller's office: (242) 502-1008 / (242)325-3145
- Fort Charlotte: (242) 326-1757
- Carmichael Road: (242) 341-8001
- Airport: (242) 377-8121
- Prince George Dock: (242) 325-9155
Complaints / Hotline : 242-325-8020
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Road Traffic Department:
More information which might help people.