Bahamas - Register Patent
A patent is a grant of property right given by the Government of The Bahamas to an inventor. The right conferred by a patent excludes others from making, using or selling the invention.
This procedure provides you information about how to register a patent.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
A patent is granted by the Bahamian Government through the Intellectual Properties Section of the Registrar General’s Department.
As of the moment the Intellectual Properties Section situated in the Registrar General’s Department in Nassau is the only location where this service is offered.
When you should file your application: For clients claiming priority i.e. Patents that have been registered in another country and wishing to be registered in The Bahamas, the application must be filed within a year from the date of the first application in the first country.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- To apply for the procedure you will need to complete Patent Application Form No.1 along with Form No.2 (to be furnished in duplicate). These forms can be obtained at the Intellectual Properties section of the Registrar General's Department.
- Submit the completed forms together with all other required documents at the Intellectual Properties Section of the Registrar General’s Department.
- Pay applicable fees.
Ads by Google
- Patent Application Form No.1 & Form No.2 (completed in duplicate)
- Two original sets of drawings (for medication or perfume, submit two original sets of formula).
- Document containing the function, purpose and materials used in the makeup of the invention.
- Application fee: BS$90.00
- Letters of Patent: BS$40.00
Note: Renewal fees vary from the fifth year up to the sixteenth year as listed in the fees schedule in the Industrial Property Act.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It will take about a year to complete the whole registration process, starting from the date the application was submitted to the date the Letters of Patent are issued.
Registrar General’s Department
Intellectual Properties Section
Cor. of Shirley and Charlotte Street
P.O. Box N 532
Tel: (242) 397-9114/9119
Fax: (242) 322-5553
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Monday to Friday, except on Public Holidays
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.