Argentina - Apply for Change of Gender for Identity (DNI/Documento Nacional de Identidad)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants must first rectify the name and gender stated on their Birth Certificate. This can be done at the nearest Registry where the applicant lives.
- After obtaining the Birth Certificate bearing the modified data, the applicant may now apply to change the gender stated on the DNI.
- Contact the registrar or Documentation Center to apply for an ID. If you live in the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires you can go to the Management and Participation Centers, or you can arrange your ID at the Quick Center of the Ministry of Interior and Transportation. If you have registered elsewhere in the country, you can go to the following Quick Documentation Centres, subject to perform the procedure in the Civil Registry delegations of their respective districts or cities.
- The new ID card is delivered directly to the address stated by the citizen, through certified mail, upon presentation of proof of application. The mail service will visit the given address twice, undelivered ID's will be sent to the office where the application was processed, where it will be available for pickup.
- DNI to be rectified.
- Rectified Birth Certificate
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior and Transport
May 25 101/145 C1002ABC - Buenos Aires
Contact Numbers: (54 11) 4339-0800
Email Contact Form: http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/contacto.php
Management and Participation Centers
Quick Documentation Centres
Civil Registry Offices
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Processing Fee: Free
New DNI of citizens over 14 years, Argentine or foreign, is valid for 15 years from the date it was issued.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
ID's will be delivered 15 days after application procedures.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Argentina's Law on Gender Identity enables people to change their names and sexes on official documents without the need of approval from a judge or a doctor.
Information which might help
Gender Identity Law
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The law states that all persons have the right:
- To the recognition of their gender identity;
- To the free development of their person according to their gender identity;
- To be treated according to their gender identity and, particularly, to be identified in that way in the documents proving their identity in terms of the first name/s, image and sex recorded there.
To know more:
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The ID card is a document that can be used for conducting all public and private transactions such as banking, immigration, lobbying public finance, trade, social security, and even to vote.
- Getting an ID:
- Frequently asked Questions:
More information which might help people.