Western Australia - Apply for Taxi Driver License
To become a taxi driver in Western Australia you will need to undertake specialized training and assessment as well as apply for a 'T' extension on your driver's license.
To be eligible you must:
- be at least 20 years of age;
- have held a relevant driver's license for at least three (3) years;
- be of good character;
- be mentally and physically fit to drive a motor vehicle for the purposes of carrying passengers for reward; and
- successfully complete the training course and test.
Ads by Google
- You will be required to produce photographic identification at every step.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Successfully complete the Taxi Driver Aptitude test. This test is designed to assess your suitability for operating a taxi and dealing with customers. If you are over 20 years old and have held a driver’s license for at least three (3) years, you can arrange a suitable time for your Aptitude Test by attending the Central Institute of Technology in person and producing your Western Australian Driver’s License as identification.
Central Institute of Technology Perth Campus
Level 6, 25 Aberdeen Street, Northbridge WA 6000
Your Aptitude Test results will be sent to you in the post. After receiving a letter informing you that you have passed the test, you may go on to complete the next steps.
- Obtain your National Police Certified and Traffic Infringements report. Application for your National Police Certificate (NPC) can be made at Australia Post or on-line with CVCheck. The NPC must be no older than three months. Application for a Certified Record of your Traffic Infringements can be made in person at any police station or by post to the Information Release Centre. This record must be no older than three months old at the time you apply for your T extension.
- Apply for a metropolitan T extension on your driver’s license. You can apply for the T extension at any of DoT’s Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) Centres and bring the required documents.
- Undergo a medical assessment. Make a driving medical assessment appointment with your health professional (this examination may take longer than a routine consultation). You will need to take the Medical assessment certificate - fitness to drive - M107A with you. This form is to be completed by your doctor, who will return it to DoT. Detailed instructions are provided on the form.
- Successfully complete the Taxi driver training course. The training course is made up of National Road Transport competency units, so if an applicant moves to another part of the transport industry or to the taxi industry in another state the training units they have completed will be recognized. When you have completed the course, you will be issued a ‘Statement of Attainment’ for the units you have completed. The course can be completed with one of the following approved training providers:
- Australian Workforce Training
Trade Assessment & Training Centre
Units 2 & 3 / 3 Blackly Row
Cockburn Central WA 6164
Phone: (08) 9414 8800
- Black & White Cabs (WA) Pty Ltd – Rose Training Australia
Unit 1, 33 Frederick Street, corner of Daly Street, Belmont WA 6104
Phone: (08) 9333 3322
- Swan Taxis Training Services
7 Harvey Street, Victoria Park WA 6101
Phone: (08) 9422 2288
WA Advanced Training Academy
129 Clayton Street, Bellevue WA 6056
Phone: (08) 9250 6022
- Australian Workforce Training
- Pass the Taxi Driver Registration Test. After you have completed your training you will be tested by DoT assessors. This test is designed to confirm that you have all the essential skills necessary to meet the needs of taxi passengers. The test involves an on-road test in a simulated taxi.
- Obtain your T extension and taxi driver identification card. Once you have successfully completed your registration test, your T extension and a metropolitan taxi driver identification card will be issued to you. This will enable you to operate a taxi in Perth.
Ads by Google
- Taxi Driver Aptitude Test result letter from the Central Institute of Technology
- National Police Certificate
- Certified Record of your Traffic Infringements
- A completed Driver’s License application form – MDL1 (Download or obtain a copy from a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or by phoning 13 11 56)
- Provide the names and contact details of two referees who are not family members and who have known you for at least four years
- Show your proof of identity documents
- Complete eyesight test
- Payment for application fee
- T Extension Application (taxi) - $106.00
- For the complete scheduling of fees and charges, follow this link: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_P_Fees_201213_Complete.pdf
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Department of Transport
- Telephone Contacts: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/aboutus/21822.asp
Main Office Locations:
Department of Transport - head office
140 William Street, Perth, WA 6000
GPO Box C102, Perth, WA 6839
Phone: (08) 6551 6000 Facsimile: (08) 6551 6001
- East Perth
Department of Transport - Passenger Services
20 Brown Street, East Perth, WA 6004
GPO Box C102, Perth WA 6839
Phone: 1300 660 147, Fax: (08) 9218 366
- East Perth
Department of Transport - Driver and Vehicle Services
Public Transport Centre,West Parade, East Perth WA. 6004
Phone: (08) 6551 6000, Facsimile: (08) 6551 6001
Department of Transport - Marine
1 Essex Street, Fremantle WA 6160
PO Box 402 Fremantle WA 6959
Phone: (08) 9435 7500 Facsimile: (08) 9435 7805
- Other Office Locations: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/aboutus/21635.asp
Driver and Vehicle Services Centre and Agents:
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Becoming a professional taxi driver brochure: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/taxis_BecomingProfessionalTaxiDriver.pdf
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Becoming a Perth metropolitan taxi driver: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/taxis/15457.asp#Apply_for_T_Extension
More information which might help people.