South Africa - To Apply for a Television Licences
If you are in possession of a TV set, you must have a valid, paid-up television licence at all times. You can apply one by following the instructions and procedure.
You are eligible to apply for TV licence if you have Television set.
- You can apply for a TV licence at your nearest Post Office or at a retailer authorised to issue new TV licences.
- When you take out a TV licence for the first time, you must pay the full annual fee of R250. The annual fee of a concessionary licence is R70 a year. Individuals need to apply at the SABC for a concessionary licence.
- To qualify for a concessionary licence, you must be:
- 70 years or older and not living with economically active dependants or non-dependants
- receiving a social grant, old age, disability or war veteran’s grant from the Department of Social Development.
- Organisations, including businesses, need a TV licence for each set in their possession.
- Households need only one licence for all TV sets in the house, provided that they all belong to the same owner.
- Adult (non-dependent) children earning their own keep, parents receiving a pension or own income, and boarders and lodgers living with a family are not covered by the household’s domestic licence but must pay their own TV licence.
- If you own a retail store selling TV sets, you must inform your customers that they cannot buy a TV set before producing proof of a valid, paid-up television licence. Prospective buyers can apply for the licence at the nearest Post Office or ask the retailer to process a new TV licence application on their behalf.
Businesses with more than 10 television sets may qualify for a discount, which is calculated on a sliding scale depending on the number of sets and is subject to certain conditions.
- Forms to complete
An application form for a TV licence is available at the Post Office or an authorised dealer.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- Go to your nearest Post Office or retailer authorised to issue new TV licences to apply for a new TV licence.
- Submit all required documents
Ads by Google
- Your identity document
- Application form with the licence fee
- Proof of physical address and postal address, with contact numbers.
- R250 per annum.
- R70 for concessionary licence.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Depending on where you apply for a new TV licence, it may take a few hours for your application to be granted.
- National office
- Tel: 011 330 9555
- Fax: 011 330 9560/1
- City/town: Johannesburg
- Province: Gauteng
- Physical address: Henly Road, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
- Postal address: Private Bag X60, Auckland Park, 2006
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications.
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- South Africa Government Services
- Department of Communications
- TV Licences
Ads by Google
More information which might help people.