Guyana - Apply for a Marriage License
Following are procedures on how to apply for a marriage license.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Couples planning to get married in Guyana must first secure a Marriage License. A petition must be submitted by the couple to the office of the Minister at least two days before it is required. The petition must state:
- Name of the applicants, their respective rank, profession or occupation
- Place where the marriage is to be solemnized, and the marriage officer who will be performing the ceremony.
- Whether the parties or either of them have or has been previously married
- No knowledge of any impediment that might prevent the proposed marriage
- That one of the said parties, for the space of fifteen days immediately preceding the licence, has had his or her usual place of abode within Guyana.
- Where either of the parties, not being a widower or widow, is under the age of eighteen years, that the consent of the person or persons whose consent to the marriage is required under this Act has been obtained.
The petition shall be signed by both parties and shall be accompanied by a proof supporting your declaration in the petition.
Couples must check the stipulated notice that must be given for the acquisition of a Marriage Licence depending on their place of abode i.e. whether they reside in or outside of Guyana.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Obtain an application form from the Guyana Post Office Corporation.
- Fill in the application form and have a Justice of Peace Notarize the application.
- Submit the form along with all other required documents to the General Register Office, Marriage Section.
- You will be advise when you can pick-up the license.
- Present the License to your Marriage Officer who will perform the marriage ceremony.
Ads by Google
- Birth Certificate
- Deed Poll
- Name Change
- For previously married individuals:
- Death certificate
- Photo identification is required. The photo ID must bear the name(s) produced on birth certificate and supported by / Deed Poll/Name Change
- National Identification Cards / passports
All absolutes must bear the original seal of the issuing court.
All Documents must be photocopied.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
General Register Office
Georgetown Guyana Map
Tel: (592) 226-1291
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- General Register Office, Republic of Guyana:
More information which might help people.