Bangladesh - Apply for National Identity (NID) Card
A National Identity Card is an identity card that is issued to each citizen and resident of a country. It is required to be carried and displayed under certain circumstances.
Every citizen of Bangladesh who is eligible to be a voter under the Electoral Roll Act, 2009, is also eligible to obtain a national identity card. The following are the qualifications:
- must be a citizen of Bangladesh.
- is not less than eighteen years of age.
- must be declared by a competent court to have a sound mind.
- must be a resident of an electoral area.
Ads by Google
- Every citizen can be issued with only one National Identity Card by Bangladesh Election Commission.
- It is required for every citizen to register their identity to be able to obtain a national identity card.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- A voter must register first his or her identity at the Bangladesh Election Commission. The information about the applicant is collected and incorporated by the data collector into the prescribed Registration Forms. Data collection is done by visiting the houses of the citizens.
- After completing the registration form, the voters are given a slip which includes appointments to the registration centers on the designated day for photographs and data entry.
Voter Registration Form (Form 2): http://www.nidw.gov.bd/images/sampledata/forms/form-2_new.pdf
- Voters must attend the registration centers at the appointed time.
- Before approaching the data entry operator, the voter is verified by the concerned Data Collection and Local Government representative for correctness.
- After verification, the Data Entry Operator takes photo, fingerprints and uploads the voter's data into a computer. There is a special arrangement is made to take the photographs and fingerprint of the disabled, sick and aged person at home.
- At the registration center, the Data Entry teams perform data entry. Thereafter, the teams return to the Server Stations at Upazila and upload data to the server.
- After registration and when the registration of a location is closed, proof-reading is done which is followed by biometric matching to trace, and terminate, multiple registrations by an individual voter in different locations.
- The printing of draft voter list is then created and published for the voters to see and lodge their claims and objections for inclusion, deletion or corrections of errors within 15 days.
- A final list was printed after updating the voters' database and National Identity Cards are prepared and distributed.
If a qualified person whose name does not appear on voter's list, he or she may apply in prescribed form to the District Election Officer for inclusion in the list.
Ads by Google
- S.S.C. or equivalent certificate
- Birth certificate
- Passport / Driving license / TIN certificate
- Utility bill copy/House rent receipt/Holding tax receipt – (as a proof of address)
- Citizenship certificate (as applicable)
- Father, Mother, Husband/wife's ID card photocopy
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
A National Identity Card is valid for fifteen (15) years from the date of its issuance. But every citizen must re-register at least 6 months before the expiry date of the national identity card.
Voter Registration Form (Form 2):
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
National ID Wing (NIDW)
Islamic Foundation Bhaban (6th- 9th Floor)
Phone Number: 088-02-8126201, 088-02-8150846
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Bangladesh Election Commission (National Identity Registration Wing): http://www.nidw.gov.bd/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=435&lang=en
More information which might help people.